Seating Dies for Berger Bullets

Budget'06

I am looking into trying a heavier bullet in the 30-06, now that i have some funds to try some new things. I have been planning on using a berger or a sierra. My current concern is with the bergers. I was choosing between the 215 and the 200.20 hybrids. However i see a lot of mixed opinions on seating the bullets and which dies to use. Would a standard RCBS seating die from a FL Die Set work? and would a 195gr TMK work in that seating die?

I would think so. A VLD berger might need a different seating stem but I dont know for sure. Sierra MK should be fine. Pull the seating stem out and check to be sure bullet tip isnt bottoming out in the stem before seating a bullet. RCBS should be able to supply a VLD seating stem if needed

I would think so. A VLD berger might need a different seating stem but I dont know for sure. Sierra MK should be fine. Pull the seating stem out and check to be sure bullet tip isnt bottoming out in the stem before seating a bullet. RCBS should be able to supply a VLD seating stem if needed
Thanks for the input. I got the die apart after some time, it is a very old rcbs die and has an older style seating stem and it was a bit seized. I suppose the only way to know is to get a bullet and try it. Just curious, I had also heard that if the tip of the bullet did bottom out in the stem, a small drill bit could be used to make the stem a hair deeper so it would fit, would this also work?

Thanks for the input. I got the die apart after some time, it is a very old rcbs die and has an older style seating stem and it was a bit seized. I suppose the only way to know is to get a bullet and try it. Just curious, I had also heard that if the tip of the bullet did bottom out in the stem, a small drill bit could be used to make the stem a hair deeper so it would fit, would this also work?
I would think so. Certainly worth a try

Run a 1/8" drill bit into you seater die and that will allow the Berger's to seat on the ogive and not the tip. I shoot only Berger and I do this on every set of dies and it works great.

Run a 1/8" drill bit into you seater die and that will allow the Berger's to seat on the ogive and not the tip. I shoot only Berger and I do this on every set of dies and it works great.
That's the plan, ordered my 215s yesterday with some starline brass. Hopefully it goes well

I just use the regular setting stem no mods and it works fine. I'm sure that it does not seat off the ogive thought and can cause about 3thou of difference is what I've measured, generally and the worst was around 5. I do agree with the drill bit thing though, also Hornady dies offer ready available seating stems in sportsman's often. Get the ones for the ELD match or there aluminum tipped bullets. If you want to use hornady. I have a standard hornady die set with a store bought VLD stem at sportmans for my 264win. Also added the micrometer to the bullet seater. Works decent.