Scope for .308 Norma Magnum

Jud96

Hey everyone I'm looking for a scope for my custom .308 Norma Magnum on a Winchester made 1917 Enfield action. The rifle is currently being built by my Dad, my Uncle, and me. It is going to be fitted with a 28" Hart stainless barrel with a #4 contour, a thumbhole stock, and an adjustable trigger with the cock on open conversion. I was originally going to put a Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40 on it but wasn't so sure about the target dot reticle in it so put it on my newly acquired Remington 700 Varmint in .243 Winchester. I believe this scope will accel in busting groundhogs and coyotes at long range with the .243 Win. For the .308 Norma I will mainly use it for elk and long range deer hunting and didn't think the fine dot would be good for this since it would be very hard to see in shadows and in low light. So now I'm looking for k scope and am really considering a Leupold VX-2 with the fine duplex reticle. I have also considered the Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 which my Dad has on his M1A but I really like Leupold's customer service and the fact they're American made and owned and figured I might just start a Leupold trend haha. I would just like to hear you guys opinions and what you think is a good scope for my application. My price range is up to $600. I would definitely buy another VX-3 but want to save some money I earned this summer break. Thanks

My first Norma was exactly the same as yours, but a 26" Hart. I'm a fan of the Nikons for the price, I just can't seem to spend the extra money on the leupolds every time I go to buy a scope.

As far as target dot, I'm not a fan for hunting purposes other than maybe varmints. Makes it kinda hard to see if you are in a rush to get on target IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts