Scope classes…

Good

Hey guys, a recent post on a gen 3 razor scope got me to thinking. I didn't know they were out so I looked them up, and while I have absolutely zero use for a 45 ounce scope, the Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22 is right up my alley at 21.7oz.

What other company makes a comparable scope to this vortex LHT in the same quality, similar reticle, similar price range, similar weight, capped windage, locking elevation, illuminated, etc? Is there anything else that checks these boxes as well as this scope?

Yes, there is a comparable scope to the one you mentioned that fulfills all of your 7 requirements:

It's the 4.5-22x, the HD LHT Razor model made by Vortex.

Yeah, it's the same scope you mentioned.... 😉
Because I'm sorry to say I don't think you'll find another one just like it....
Maybe someone can prove me wrong. I really hope so, I do. 👍🏼

And my post meant no disrespect for you.
Good luck on your scope search! 😊

Matthias

yeah, and like everything, there is a give and take, a compromise, like better optics for a little more weight, or illumination for a better reticle, etc, but this LHT seems great for the money and I don't even know of anything in the same ballpark.

I had a gen 1 Razor HD and it was good, but I honestly preferred my wife's 6-24 Viper HSLR just for the extra power. The optics of the Razor weren't better to the point that it made up for the power discrepancy...

Hey guys, a recent post on a gen 3 razor scope got me to thinking. I didn't know they were out so I looked them up, and while I have absolutely zero use for a 45 ounce scope, the Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22 is right up my alley at 21.7oz.

What other company makes a comparable scope to this vortex LHT in the same quality, similar reticle, similar price range, similar weight, capped windage, locking elevation, illuminated, etc? Is there anything else that checks these boxes as well as this scope?
Off the top of my head common scopes that I think are very similar to the LHT are the:

Leupold VX3 series
Leupold VX5 series
Maven RS.5 Series
Nightforce SHV Series
Trijicon Tenmile®​ HX 3-18x44
Lecia Amplus 2.5-15x56i
Meopta Optika6 3-18x50 DichroTech

There are tons of other makers I'm sure but these are the ones I know have a covered windage knob and a zero stop elevation knob like the LHT. It seems like the LHTs are getting good reviews by users so far.

I was very impressed with the Optika6 5-30x56 I picked up on here to try out. Last year I had a PST gen II 5-25 for hunting and it did very well too. The Optika 6 does seem to be a little clearer and give a few more minutes for shooting than the PST does but it has a very very sensitive parallax adjustment and if its not right on the money it is not forgiving. This year is a new setup with the Zeiss LRP S5 and it is incredible.

Vx6 has a dial windage but also locks. Vx5 has capped wind but not illuminated. I have both and the vx6 is my primary scope for hunting. On a budget the vx5 is quite nice and a good option. Haven't spend any time with the lht but I'm not a vortex guy. Been down that road and moved on.

Bushnell LRHS is very comparable. Weight, power, illumination, quality of glass, zero stop, reliable tracking, covered windage, exposed elevation. Check it out as I suspect you'll find it fits your need / desires.

For a FFP that checks a lot of the same boxes as that Razor LHT, the only scopes that come to mind are March and the Trijicon Tenmile 3-18. Everything else is going to be 5-6 ounces heavier.

OK so the LHT got me to digging. Surely, there must be something from the big manufacturers that fits into this wonderful category for us hunters... My criteria for this endeavor was quality, MOA, "tree reticle", zero stop, locking exposed elevation turret and the windage turret has to at least lock, but capped is fine as well. Other than that, I just compared everything to the LHT.

All said, looking at the specs below, nothing that I could find matches the LHT for my criteria. If a company only offered MIL, or not near the price of the LHT, or FFP, I excluded it.

The Nightforce NX8 is almost there. Leupold Mark 5 is almost there, but falls short (long) in a few areas :).

The Maven RS.3 also looks good, but is 6oz heavier and turrets don't lock, that I could tell anyway. I think the language they use is odd- "exposed turrets with toolless zero, lockable zero-stop, custom turret options, and is one of the lightest full-featured hunting scopes on the market." Lockable zero stop and toolless zero? hmmm... Anyway, here are the specs:

Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22x50 FFP MOA with XLR-2 MOA
$1500
21.7 oz
13.3" long
Elevation Turret locking exposed
Windage turret capped
Has zero stop
Illuminated

Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56 FFP with PR2-MOA reticle
$2100
30 oz
15.7" long
Elevation turret is locking exposed
Windage turret is capped
Has zero stop
Non-illuminated

Maven RS.3 5-30x50 FFP MOA-2 reticle
$1600
26.9 oz
13.3" long
Elevation turret Exposed
Windage turret exposed
Has zero stop
Non illuminated

Nightforce nx8 4-32x50- This scope looks fantastic as well, but doesn't have a "tree" style reticle. The extra magnification might be worth the reticle and extra weight. Also, it has zero stop, but I couldn't find anything that said the turrets lock/are capped or not. If the turrets lock or are capped, this is a home run from Nightforce!
$2150
28.6oz
13.4" long
Turrets exposed?
Has zero stop
Illuminated

The Valdada 4.5-28x50 34mm FFP mini with G2 reticle
This scope looks good on paper as well. Heavier weight at 30oz (on par with the Mark 5 and a hair over the NX8), but that seems light for the internal adjustment range of the 34mm main tube. It also has good magnification range, great reticle and great glass. Couldn't tell if turrets were capped/lock, etc.
$1900
30oz
13.45" long
Turrets exposed?
Not sure if it has zero stop or illumination. Kinda doubt it...

March- all are really expensive- twice the price of the Vortex

Trijicon tenmile – MRAD

Bushnell LRHS – MRAD, in fact, they don't offer anything in MOA FFP

Meopta Optika6 – not interested in the reticles

GPO- nothing that fits the bill with MOA and FFP

I don't know, let me know if you are aware of anything that compares better, but I couldn't find it... MOA, FFP, Tree reticle, locking turrets, good glass, lightweight, at a competitive price... If only that NX8 had a better reticle and locking turrets... YMMV