SBR question / discussion.

Mike6158

If I have an upper for an AR10 that has what the BATF calls a short barrel installed, how do I go about SBR'ing something that doesn't have a serial number? The lower has the s/n on it, not the upper.

Yeah screw that. I have 3 other uppers, different calibers, with "normal" length barrels. I'm not going to dedicate a lower to a short barrel that'll probably shoot like crap anyway.

Thanks for the answer though :D

The lower is what you would register as an SBR. It needs to be registered with a barrel length and caliber. Register it on a form one and in the description put the caliber and barrel length for the short barrel. It is only an SBR when the configuration with the short barrel. on an AR 15 or AR 10 changing the uppers is not a permanent change so you can put the longer barrels on anytime you want. Just always have the shorter one so it can be assembled in the configuration that you registered it in.

Yeah screw that. I have 3 other uppers, different calibers, with "normal" length barrels. I'm not going to dedicate a lower to a short barrel that'll probably shoot like crap anyway.

Thanks for the answer though :D
Sorry if I wasn't overly clear. You can remove the shorty and use the longer barrel, but if you install the shorty, it needs to go back on the registered lower to be correct and lawful.

Sorry if I wasn't overly clear. You can remove the shorty and use the longer barrel, but if you install the shorty, it needs to go back on the registered lower to be correct and lawful.
Oh... derp... that makes sense. I can live with that.

Does a .22LR (rimfire) require an SBR? Brownells sells a lower for an AR15 that converts it to a .22 rimfire. I have a long barrel version and it's a lot of fun. I'd like to try the short barrel version and put a can on it.

I'd add this though... if my lower is already registered, which is it is, why do I have to register it again. I know, I know... this isn't really a question...

The lower is the part that's registered when you make an SBR. If the lower doesn't have a SN (which is common with 80% lowers) you make one up and engrave it on the lower at least 1/16" tall and .003" deep along with your name, city, state, and the caliber if it's not on the barrel.

In most cases you're starting with a commercial lower. You adopt the SN from the lower and caliber from the barrel. You use the manufacturer's name, city, and state as the manufacturer information and engrave your name, city, and state as the maker.

It doesn't matter what cartridge it is. 22s still need to be registered.

You can swap upper around. It's only an SBR when it's configured as an SBR. You can put other short barrel uppers on too. The ATF requests you tell them of any permanent change, but there's no law requiring it.

Unless you registered your lower as an NFA firearm or live in a state that makes you register "assault weapons" it's not registered. There is no registry for title 1 firearms. You may have purchased it on a 4473, which serves as a record of the transaction, but there is no list that says "Joe Blow at 123 High Street owns a PSA PA10 with SN 1234" for title 1 firearms.

Yeah... I shouldn't have used the term "registered". It's "just" the 4473 that was filled out when I took possession. I order my lowers from Aero Precision, they send them to my local FFL, paperwork is filed, etc. I think I'll just skip the AR10 short barrel and skip the short .22 barrel. I already have the 16" versions with cans on them and they shoot fine.

when you bought your lowers How was they logged in to the books , on the 4473 was they listed as Rifle/pistol/other ??
if they were listed as other and you haven't put a rifle length upper on it ,, and only you know that I would build it out as
a pistol .. if they were listed as a rifle just buy a stripped lower and it should be listed as other on the 4473 and build it out
as a pistol .. no Tax stamp needed , form 1 , or $200.00 of your money ..