Savage ultralite

I looked at them in February at an outdoor show, they felt pretty nice but I wasn't overly impressed with the smoothness of the bolt. I looked at most of the savage line up and the high country had the smoothest bolt travel. This is just my personal opinion on the bolt, I really liked what they offered and you know it will shoot because it's a savage. Don't let my opinion discourage anyone's thoughts on this gun. A 6.5 prc or 280ai would be a great one to get! Best wishes

I looked at them in February at an outdoor show, they felt pretty nice but I wasn't overly impressed with the smoothness of the bolt. I looked at most of the savage line up and the high country had the smoothest bolt travel. This is just my personal opinion on the bolt, I really liked what they offered and you know it will shoot because it's a savage. Don't let my opinion discourage anyone's thoughts on this gun. A 6.5 prc or 280ai would be a great one to get! Best wishes
I seen some comments that the chamber's on the high country was trash ,and was wondering what the ultralite was like, I've personally had good luck with the savage's

I seen some comments that the chamber's on the high country was trash ,and was wondering what the ultralite was like, I've personally had good luck with the savage's
Need not worry, if we're talking about the ultralite carbon savage, Proof chambers and supplies the barrels. Any steel savage produced barrels are getting to be a gamble for chambers. Especially what they consider acceptable.

I'm thinking of buying on for the action and trigger to build off of.

If I could sell the barrel for $500, that wouldn't be a bad price point for the action and trigger.
Yep and just holler when that barrel is for sale! You could also do the lightweight storm, should be the same action and a cheaper starting point. I am not sure what trigger the ultra lite uses. Oh JK the ultralite is factory blueprinted. They are farther apart than I thought.

Last edited:
I built my own about a year ago from a 270 lightweight hunter with a 26" proof 8.4 twist 7mm rem mag barrel. I had to change out the bolt head. I put a titanium bolt arm & carbon fiber bolt knob on it along with a titanium muzzle brake. Weights 6lb 11oz. Shoots 180s really well.
IMG_20190916_203503481.jpg
IMG_20190916_203327104.jpg

Last edited:
I built my own about a year ago from a 270 lightweight hunter with a 26" proof 8.4 twist 7mm rem mag barrel. I had to change out the bolt head. I put a titanium bolt arm & carbon fiber bolt knob on it along with a titanium muzzle brake. Weights 6lb 11oz. Shoots 180s really well.
I have a lightweight storm in 270 that I am about to change to a 280 AI. The AI is a Douglas #3 contour with a X-caliber blank 8 twist. I throated it for the 180 Hybrid. I wish I would have done a different bullet now but I had the barrel made 2 years ago and started into a business venture that has taken all money and time so I haven't got to it. Anyway I will get it put together in a month or two and let y'all know weight and how it does.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.