SAVAGE Rifles - who uses them

Jim Briggs who post as Northlander over at Savage Shooters forum has some RBLP actions with 6 oz trigger comming in in a few weeks. Link below.
Savage actions.
If anyone is interested he has prices posted so I won't post them here.

The savages were the first real projects I got into with changing out barrels and such. I have built several guns on them all were 110 actions. I have used pre-fit barrels from Pac-Nor,Shilen,Sharp Shooters Supply,Kevin Rayhill , E.R. Shaw , Lothar Walther and I have fitted a few myself setup like the Rem's , all shot very well. One of my favorite things to do was buy a heavy 223 1-9 twist barrel then rechamber it to 22-250 Ai , they all shot the 69gr SMK awsome especialy if you firelapped them first as a 223.

I have used triggers from SSS , and Rifle basix both with awsome resluts. I got to talk to Kevin Rayhill at length about "timing" the Savage actions and got the whle idea down and did it to a few but never realy saw where it was that big of a gain to accuracy.
The Prefit barrel from Shilen that Brownells offers is a great deal I bought one , a #7 conture in 308 that would shoot just about all loads under an inch and it was easy to find loads with bullet from 155 to 210 that would shoot under 1/2moa out to 500yds , the barrel I got was acctualy chambered pretty tight and would have a stiff bolt close on factory ammo.

All in all I think that for the money the Savage/Stevens actions are realy hard to beat for a low budget build. I'm still not realy crazy about the seperate "floating" bolt head but I realy can't find fault with it. and it can't be that bad as from the pics I've seen its the exact same desgine that Armalite uses on their big 50 BMG bolts.

Bounty,
No doubt you are correct, I saw one at the SHOT show and it was very interesting. Didn't kow you shoot Savages, I hope to get into one shortly.

Really like the handling of that varminter with the HS Precision stock, only problem it is not available in .308 Win.

Great info guys, I forwarded this link to Savage, they may be reading and learning from you all!

If Savage arms might be reading this, let me add:

Please bring back the classy bolt handle that my old 112R has (turns out it is an "R" model, not a "V").

The knob that you are using now with the impressed checkered panel cheapens the look and feel of the action.

I would like to see there bolt knob look more appealing too. But it is easy to do something with it. Or change it out. I did this to my 257 Roberts and thought it came out better than it was. Just ground it flat and polished it.

PICT0022.jpg

I cross drilled the BVSS knob just for something to do.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m277/52449/PICT0052.jpg

Been a custom Savage shooter for many years but, just thought to let you guys know, that Savage will mix and match any components they manufacture in order to build a gun for you, that isn't currently in their product line.

This is not custom shop prices rather, putting together what you want, from what they manufacture.

If this is something that will help you get the Savage you want, Contact Effie Sullivan at: 413-568-7001 (at Savage) for more information.

I had recently contacted Brian Herrick V.P. marketing and sales for Savage and this is the path (or a possible path) for what you may want from factory parts, that they don't combine and offer.

regards

Paul Prochko

Ian,
Actions
1-200 Stevens long, 1-110 Savage cut for short action magazine.

Bolts
4 with additional bolt heads.

Barrels
223,22-250,243,25-06,270wsm,300wm(1 sporter & 1 heavy fluted).

Stocks all factory 1 each total of 4
Wood and synthetic sporter, laminate and synthetic varmit.

If not already together, I can setup for any type of shooting or hunting I do in minutes.

DK

i got two savages...a model 10 predator .22-250 and a model 12 abt tiger mako .308. both are tack drivers. i love the triggers in both with the abt trigger being the 1.5 lbs target trigger. the stocks on both are great with the brush camo onthe predator and the crazy cut laminate stock on the abt. the only down side to either is weight. while the predator isnt heavy it has some heft...after 3 or 4 calling stands it can get a little heavy.

I love my savages. I grew up with nothing but remington 700's and these will always have a special place in my heart. I've taken many more animals with my remmy's but I build my own savages and have one that's put four rounds into less than an inch at 500yds. Building a long range savage is very cheap and easy, I have a remmy with my smith and it will cost considerably more when it's done, but I'm expecting accuracy to be every bit as good. I like the Rife Basix SAV-2 and the SSS trigers. I like the Stockade, and SSS tactical bolt handles. I like stockade stock and Lothar and Shilen for barrels. Recently I've been buying up savage actions like there's no tommarow.

Does Savage offer a 300 win mag. with a 26'' barrel?I have only seen them with 24'' barrels.I would rather have a 26'' if they offer it.

KQ Guy, I have a 300 WM Savage BVSS with a 26in barrel, bought it 3 years ago. For sale with 400 rounds down the tube, lots of extras. PM me if interested

New guy

New guy on limited budget thinking on a longrange gun. I am going to start with Stevens 200 action. Want to know if anyone has built a 338 edge???? Hoping to do so with 300 win mag action looking to change trigger and barrel and stock just need some imput... Other option is 25-06 ackley or 6-284 what are your thoughts thanks so much, this is a great forum for shooters. Coreygun)

New guy on limited budget thinking on a longrange gun. I am going to start with Stevens 200 action. Want to know if anyone has built a 338 edge???? Hoping to do so with 300 win mag action looking to change trigger and barrel and stock just need some imput... Other option is 25-06 ackley or 6-284 what are your thoughts thanks so much, this is a great forum for shooters. Coreygun)

A Savage- Edge is doable. I'm planning on putting an Edge on my Savage. If you start with a 300win, the 388 Edge is as easy as switching out the barrel. A prefit Shilen is $225-270 depending on CM or Stainless.

As for the stock, I would go with a B&C Medalist or one of the Stockade Stocks. I just put a Stockade Tactical(A5 Clone) on mine. Both have internal aluminum bedding blocks, not just pillars. Both are about $200.

For the trigger, if you are starting with a Stevens. You can put an adjustable Savage (pre-accutrigger) on for very cheap. Or, a SSS trigger for about $85.

The only downside of the Edge on a Savage/Stevens is it will need to be single shot. The mag isn't big enough for an Edge, especially with a 300g SMK or 265g RBBT. It's gonna be the cheapest Edge out there.

Just ordered my first one, a 12 LFV (tupperware stock) in a 22-250. I was going to build a 6mm of some sort, but decided to start a little smaller and cheaper for this year. I never would have thought of buying a savage two years ago before I started reading on this site. Looking forward to a good shooting centerfire rifle that I don't get sore shooting at the range like my 300wsm ----I know, kindova wimp :)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts