Savage Action Question

cgailey

I have a Savage SA with 4.2 action screw spacing and top/side bolt release. These came with the Stagger feed internal magazines. If I put this action in a xlr or mdt chassis that allows for 4.2 or 4.4 action screw spacing, should I be able to use the AICS mags without any feeding issues? Are there other dbm stock options for the 4.2 spacing savages? Thanks in advance.

I have a Savage SA with 4.2 action screw spacing and top/side bolt release. These came with the Stagger feed internal magazines. If I put this action in a xlr or mdt chassis that allows for 4.2 or 4.4 action screw spacing, should I be able to use the AICS mags without any feeding issues? Are there other dbm stock options for the 4.2 spacing savages? Thanks in advance.
The MDT website says they are AICS mag compatible, but when in doubt, consult with them directly. Mine is Savage LA, and I use an AICS mag in an Oryx chassis.

You will have no issues with that set up. They will feed out of that magazine as well as they feed out of any other. That is part of the engineering that goes into.these chassis, is how the magazine interfaces with the action.

I was running a 10 round Magpul in a Savage model 10 with a GRS stock. The bolt would often override the round and jam on the barrel face and fail to chamber. I worked on the feed lips to attempt to get the round to sit higher in the mag and had significant improvement on feed reliability but not 100%. The mag was as high as it could go, and dragging on the bottom of the bolt. Also the plastic 10 rnd swells up when you get 10 in it. The accurate mag controls the round all the way to the feed ramp and has zero malfunctions. The Magpul mags lose control of the round before it can start to chamber and hope it hits the chamber. Magpul is ok on an AR. In general, if you want something to last, don't make it out of plastic.

I run a MDT chassis with no issues. You will have to remove the stamped box from the action first. Kind of a pain the first time.

I was running a 10 round Magpul in a Savage model 10 with a GRS stock. The bolt would often override the round and jam on the barrel face and fail to chamber. I worked on the feed lips to attempt to get the round to sit higher in the mag and had significant improvement on feed reliability but not 100%. The mag was as high as it could go, and dragging on the bottom of the bolt. Also the plastic 10 rnd swells up when you get 10 in it. The accurate mag controls the round all the way to the feed ramp and has zero malfunctions. The Magpul mags lose control of the round before it can start to chamber and hope it hits the chamber. Magpul is ok on an AR. In general, if you want something to last, don't make it out of plastic.
Mine were both 5-rounders and in Savage 110/111 LA.

I was running the 10 round mag in a Savage model 10 with the plastic GRS stock. The bolt would often override the round and it it would fail to chamber. I worked on the feed lips to get it to sit higher on the bolt and improved it a lot, but not 100%. The feed lips were also dragging on the bottom of the bolt. All magpul mags I have for that rifle lose control of the round before it is chambered and if you're lucky, it will find the chamber and close. The accurate mag controls the round all the way to the feed ramp and chambers 100% of the time. I am still running this rifle in long range PRS matches and yearly Pronghorn hunts.

I was running the 10 round mag in a Savage model 10 with the plastic GRS stock. The bolt would often override the round and it it would fail to chamber. I worked on the feed lips to get it to sit higher on the bolt and improved it a lot, but not 100%. The feed lips were also dragging on the bottom of the bolt. All magpul mags I have for that rifle lose control of the round before it is chambered and if you're lucky, it will find the chamber and close. The accurate mag controls the round all the way to the feed ramp and chambers 100% of the time. I am still running this rifle in long range PRS matches and yearly Pronghorn hunts.
Sorry about the double post, some kind of weird delay on this platform.

Recent Posts