Savage 6.5-284 Berger Seating Depth Test

taylorjones20

So I followed the instructions from Berger (also found on this forum) and performed the seating depth test. I didn't do the 6 rounds of each like they mentioned but only done 3 rounds of each. The results were shocking to say the least but I think I found my best COAL.

Shooting a Savage 111 LRH 6.5-284 norma. Scoped with a Weaver Tactical 4-20x50. Currently shooting Nosler Brass, 52 grains H4831SC, CCI 250 Magnum primers, Berger 140 VLD Hunting @ 2775 fps.

I have some retumbo that I plan to work on a load to attempt to get more fps.

I'm pretty pleased with the results so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
I tested Retumbo and H4831sc in my 6.5/284. The Retumbo gave me over 3000 fps, but the 4831 gave the best accuracy a bit slower. The seating depth test from Berger is part of my load development for every rifle, and as you saw the results are usually pretty obvious. While breaking in the barrel I test up to max load listed and a little beyond looking for pressure signs, then test for best COAL, then run a ladder test of charges in smaller increments with the winning COAL to find the final load. Then its on to a trajectory validation test and off to hunting camp.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts