Savage 110 Worthiness??

hnts4fun

I'm not a Savage guy, never have been, but I've read enough that I have an itch that needs scratching. [No dermatologists need reply... only Savage guys] I'm still a little tense about an LRH deal for a Savage 12 LRP 260 Remington that vaporized. We were a go, I sent a copy of my FFL, and numerous follow-up e-mails... but my seller is MIA.

Moving on, I have a chance to buy a gun that is advertised as a Savage Model 110 in 30-06 for a good price. I've attached some pictures. They aren't the greatest pictures but would one or more of you please chime in as to whether this is a modern enough to Savage to put into a new stock and rebarrel. I know that the "new Savages" are the greatest thing since sliced bread but I just don't know if this particular rifle is a new Savage or an old Savage.

Thank you in advance for any information you are able to pass on.

Matt

Attachments

• bill 001a.jpg
    bill 001a.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 77
  • bill 003a.jpg
    bill 003a.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 79
It is older because it does not have the accutrigger. Have you shot it. My guess is that that it still shoots well unless it has been abused. You can buy a new trigger that helps the old Savages tremendously.

Thanks for your reply.

No, I haven't shot it; it's a pending online deal. Seller recently got the gun on trade and doesn't know much about it. I do know that it has a hinged floor plate. I would like to use the action for a built but don't know some of the particulars like:

Center feed versus staggered feed.
Large shank versus small shank.

I'm okay with a non-accutrigger but I would like to know if this action is as solid a choice for a build as some of the newer Savage offerings.

Matt

I've worked with one of those only in 7mmRM. They are very usable for building. Personally I think it is a better option than the new rifles right now. It will be a stagger feed, with a small shank (1.055"). They only used the large shank on the magnums, but even some of those are small shank. You can adjust the trigger some, but you would be better off purchasing an aftermarket trigger. It should have a 4.27" hole spacing. As far as stocks, I believe there are more available for that spacing than the new ones. Stockade will be your best fit for your Savage needs. The nice thing is being a long action for your 260 desires. You could long throat the barrel to allow the bullet to set a little farther out with the 140's utilizing more capacity. The bullet won't be squishing your loads.

Many thanks liltank!

Shank size, hole spacing, and feed configuration help me a lot. This rifle would still allow me the relatively quick barrel changes that newer ones do?

Matt

Many thanks liltank!

Shank size, hole spacing, and feed configuration help me a lot. This rifle would still allow me the relatively quick barrel changes that newer ones do?

Matt

Yep, I would rather have that one to be honest than an accu-trigger model (do love my accu-trigger though). It has the grooved barrel nut instead of the smooth they put on now. I would love to get a hold of one like that for cheap. The one thing you'll have to remember when ordering a base is that from the picture it has a flat on the back of the receiver instead of the round that all the new ones have.

I have helped build 2 custom savage 110s for myself, one a 338 lapua Improved that is throwing the 300 gr berger out at 2910 avg fps, 106grs of US869 powder, I removed the factory lug put in PTG .300 replacement 27.25 barrel from a local shop, (Jim dubell) lapped the bolt, trigger job with the factory trigger, never had a problem making factorys light, anyhow had to cut reciever out to fit lapua case anyhow ,, gun shoots awesome!! the second was an 22-250 ackley, same senario, shoots great,, In the process of building 2 more both 6.5-284, one for my wife, and one for my daughter! almost done with both, just about ready to go to the blue tank, I have had real good luck with boyds stocks, very very great products for about 116.00$ delivered to ur door, all in all i love the savages for custom gun works, If they hold up to that lapua, must be said for something,.

+1 the thoughts above.

Make sure to have the seller measure the action screw spacing, so you can make sure your choice of aftermarket stock is available.

+1 on an aftermarket lug AND aftermarket barrel nut. (I use Savage Shooters Supply parts).

Also, you can get an aftermarket trigger that will be much better than the factory. Although I like my accutrigger, it is "different" than my other triggers.

Good luck,
AJ

Like AJ said, have the seller measure the screw spaceing!! It most likely is 5" but could be 4.53". Both spaceings you could turn into anything from 17hornet to 338edge but with the 5" you will have a lot more (cheaper) stock options.

Lots of good advice here so far.

There are a couple of ways you can tweak a factory trigger to try and make it a bit better. I've had fair success with that. Check out savage Shooters if you really want to get into details.

I think it's a nice rifle for a build. Some actually prefer the "just prior to AccuTrigger" models like this one.

All long actions have the same screw spacing, I've never seen a 30-06 in a short or mid length action from the factory. I'd take a three screw trigger over an accu-trigger anyday.

You know, I was wondering about the screw spacing issue. I forgot my brother 7RM is down in my basement. I measured and it is 5" for the long action. Just thought I would correct myself and apologize for the bad info. :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.