Savage 110 short action aftermarket options for stocks?

I had a buddy invite me on a prairie dog hunt in about 6 weeks, seemed like a good excuse to buy a rifle. Found a Savage 110 Predator in 204 Ruger, and it turned out to be pretty accurate. The stock, however doesn't have enough palm swell for my liking, would prefer a more vertical grip, and the forend is too narrow.

Hoping someone here has knowledge of good options out there for quality after market stocks to fit a Savage 110 short action, bottom bolt release. I'm open to changing out the bottom metal if I need to in order to get something to fit.
Get an MDT Oryx. Mine is working out extremely well.

I had a buddy invite me on a prairie dog hunt in about 6 weeks, seemed like a good excuse to buy a rifle. Found a Savage 110 Predator in 204 Ruger, and it turned out to be pretty accurate. The stock, however doesn't have enough palm swell for my liking, would prefer a more vertical grip, and the forend is too narrow.

Hoping someone here has knowledge of good options out there for quality after market stocks to fit a Savage 110 short action, bottom bolt release. I'm open to changing out the bottom metal if I need to in order to get something to fit.
boyd's make several different styles

Well I am slow to the party. Another option I didn't see thrown out is the HS precision.. they make one that came on a few savage models with a great palm swell and wide forends. Not ultralight but great grip to them. I have played in the savage world for years, the biggest issue seems to be how much they change things a little bit... action screw spacing, bottom or top bolt release, plastic or metal bottom metal or just build the bottom metal into the stock, flat back or round back receivers.... oh and now they are messing with the models. 110s was always a long action model.. they put all calibers in 1 action. When they made a short action... it was a 10, 11, 12, 14, or 16. The long action models where always three digit 110, 111, 112 you get the idea. Yet now around bottom bolt release time they are all 110s. So fun. However they shoot great shooters and very easy to build up and down without metal working equipment. Sorry for the savage rant. Where out here in SD are you headed? Conata basin near wall got most of the prairie dog colonies closed to shooting.
No idea exactly where we're going, but I think it's on a reservation.

It's about perfect (barrel is free floating with minimal gap) for the fluted heavy barrel on the Savage Predator

View attachment 564992

View attachment 564994
Nowadays a larger gap between the barrel and the stock is preferred, especially for precision shooting, and definitely needed when pre-loading for the shot. The old $1 bill trick no longer cuts it for me. My simple test is if I apply presure, e.g. clamp both the barrel and the end of the stock with one hand, and I can make the barrel touch the stock, then that's not enough free-floating for me. That is more important for larger calibers, where the shooter needs to have a lot more control for recoil, but it is not negligible even for lighter calibers.

MDT......... Awesome stocks...

In changing stocks and action screws, pay particular attention to length and depth of screw channel. I put an after market stock Bravo on a Tikka T1x 22LR and my accuracy was gone? It turned out the action screw would compress the material of the new stock and tighten against the barrel. Two indications: the screw went from loose to instant 40inLbs & during investigation noticed metal grooves on barrel thru action screw hole. Put a flat washer over screw and could then torque action screw incrementally from 10 to factory recommended. And accuracy returned and even improved slightly with only 30 inch pounds.
Good callout on the action screws and fitment. Was having trouble releasing the magazine and realized that while everything seemed to bolt up just fine, there was more inletting needed where the bottom metal for the magazine fits into the stock near the front action screw, and where the magazine release needs to pivot to drop the mag. Took care of that trimming with a dremel this morning, but now the action screws are binding up the bolt.

Ground the screws down by first threading on a 1/4-28 die so I could clean up the threads after grinding, leaving only the amount of screw exposed out the end of the die that needed to be removed. Ground that off with a dremel, then several passes back and forth with the die to clean up the threads. Also had to shim the rear action screw, did that by placing a stainless 1/4" lock washer between the bottom metal and the bottom of the stock. Torqued everything down and everything functions as it should now.

Ready to test for accuracy later today if time allows.

IMG_3408.jpeg

IMG_3412.jpeg

Last edited:
I have the field stock on a model 12 and love it, I prefer it over the lss gen2 or

I have the field stock on a model 12 and love it, I prefer it over the lss gen2 or the oryx… and it's cheap!
I am thinking about one of these. How do you like it? Did it replace a wood or plastic stock? If plastic How much added weight is felt,if any? Does the metal chassis extend from the action all the way to the forend on the bottom? See any difference on how the rifle shoots?
Thanks for any help

I really like my MDT Field Stock. Comes with a bottom bolt release button Ang room for the barrel to cool well.
How is the weight difference? Thinking about one for a 6.5 creedmoor ultralight.
Any difference in shooting? Does the chassis run from action to forend on bottom?
Thank you for any help

I really like my MDT Field Stock. Comes with a bottom bolt release button Ang room for the barrel to cool well.
Yup....but only available in S/A for now and a great price! The XRS is readily available but twice the price....if have it and the ACC premier.....love em

I am thinking about one of these. How do you like it? Did it replace a wood or plastic stock? If plastic How much added weight is felt,if any? Does the metal chassis extend from the action all the way to the forend on the bottom? See any difference on how the rifle shoots?
Thanks for any help
They are terrific...fit and finish is flawless!