Ruger M77 rear tang safety bedding ?

BrentM

A friend has a m77 and was wondering about bedding the action. I am wondering if there is any advantage with this style of action etc. and if so is it a full bed, partial, skim, etc? He is currently planning to refinish the stock. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Dosh is spot on.

I've got a few of them. The trigger is installed by their lawyers and is the first thing to be worked on. The recoil pad might as well be made out of steel. LOL.

Dosh-what replacement trigger have you installed in them?

They're a great gun though. Have fun!

Dosh is spot on.

I've got a few of them. The trigger is installed by their lawyers and is the first thing to be worked on. The recoil pad might as well be made out of steel. LOL.

Dosh-what replacement trigger have you installed in them?

They're a great gun though. Have fun!

RH, I have a local gunsmith who does outstanding trigger jobs for $70.

RH, I have a local gunsmith who does outstanding trigger jobs for $70.

Does he just modify the existing trigger, or did he install a full replacement trigger?

I have a .300 WM with the tang safety and I had a smith modify the existing trigger. It used to pull over 7 lbs when new, now it's at 3-1/4 lbs and it shoots way better.

But I have been considering a full replacement lately.

Does he just modify the existing trigger, or does he install a full replacement trigger?

I have a .300 WM with the tang safety and I had a smith modify the existing trigger. I used to pull over 7 lbs when new, now it's at 3-1/4 lbs and now it shoots way better.

But I have been considering a full replacement.

He reworks the factory trigger. I've taken about a dozen rifles to him, several makes and his work is always top notch. Most of my Remington 700 friends replace with Timney since the Timney plant is only a 15 minute drive away.

I do about a dozen tang safety and MKII rifles a year.

The ONLY way to bed a TIMBER stocked Ruger is to add PILLARS at the same time the recoil lug is done, then, and ONLY then, bed the tang and sides of the action. Because of the centre screw, all bedding should be done with surgical rubber holding/pulling the action down.
I bed the recoil lug tight with the pillar, Brownell's sell a good pillar kit cut to the correct length and 60 degrees of the front screw. I bed/install the front and rear pillars at the same time as the recoil lug. Once this is all set up, then I do the tang and under the sides above the mag cutout, this stops any bending that can occur from the centre screw.
With the Brownell's kit, you will need to cut a groove in the front one and 3 grooves in the rear one, a set of centring cones, and modified all thread/nuts to hold the pillars central, these DO NOT hold the action for bedding or put pressure on the stock, the rubber tubing does this.

Cheers.

BrentM,
If I could post pics I would show you both mine and my Fathers rifles and how good the Brownell's kits work. Mine is a MKII in 25-06, his a tang safety in 270. Both stocks are timber and the bedding is tight. There is more filling work required with plasticine on tang safeties, and you need to remove the safety/connector and trigger assembly to do the job correctly. I also bed the Knox form on these as a bit of insurance.
Anyway, the kits come with instructions and you can YouTube it as well.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.