Ruger American Gen 1 223 with Rotary Mags Question

FireFlyFishing

Hello All,

I inherited a Ruger as described in the subject line from my late father. I've heard nothing but bad regarding the rotary mags and the rubber stock, but the rifles aren't bad to shoot. So...is there an aftermarket option as far as stocks equipped with AICS 223 mags that is a viable option?

I've scoured the web looking for answers and unfortunately, it doesn't look like they work well with after market options. I called Magpul yesterday and inquired on their Hunter stock. Tech support said it would work. When I referenced questions answered on their site, there was more than one response from Magpul that their stock and mag does not work with my rifle. Hmmmm....
I also called MDT and asked regarding their XRS chassis and they said it would definitely work with that rifle if I used their metal 223 AICS mags.

Does anyone have experience upgrading one of these? I wouldn't mind keeping the rifle, but I'm not going to pull my hair out with headaches to make it better. I can run down to any LGS and pick up a tikka, thread the barrel, throw it in a chassis, and I know will work.

The purpose of this rifle will be a yote rig that will attach to a tripod via ARCA. Hence the chassis route.

Hello All,

I inherited a Ruger as described in the subject line from my late father. I've heard nothing but bad regarding the rotary mags and the rubber stock, but the rifles aren't bad to shoot. So...is there an aftermarket option as far as stocks equipped with AICS 223 mags that is a viable option?

I've scoured the web looking for answers and unfortunately, it doesn't look like they work well with after market options. I called Magpul yesterday and inquired on their Hunter stock. Tech support said it would work. When I referenced questions answered on their site, there was more than one response from Magpul that their stock and mag does not work with my rifle. Hmmmm....
I also called MDT and asked regarding their XRS chassis and they said it would definitely work with that rifle if I used their metal 223 AICS mags.

Does anyone have experience upgrading one of these? I wouldn't mind keeping the rifle, but I'm not going to pull my hair out with headaches to make it better. I can run down to any LGS and pick up a tikka, thread the barrel, throw it in a chassis, and I know will work.

The purpose of this rifle will be a yote rig that will attach to a tripod via ARCA. Hence the chassis route.
Ruger has a kit to convert their rotary mag to AICS in their 308 win size rifles. I'm pretty sure the .223 is the same action so I'd call their tech support to see if it would work. Stocky's also has a kit for their stock to use AICS mags. I cannot see why a magpul wouldn't work. I installed one for a customer in a 6.5 creedmoor. But I think a XRS chassis would accept an ARCA rail easier.

There are YT videos on the Ruger conversion. The can be some fitting of the mags to make it feed. So i think since you're going to mount it on a tripod the XRS would be your best option. Good luck!

Ruger has a kit to convert their rotary mag to AICS in their 308 win size rifles. I'm pretty sure the .223 is the same action so I'd call their tech support to see if it would work. Stocky's also has a kit for their stock to use AICS mags. I cannot see why a magpul wouldn't work. I installed one for a customer in a 6.5 creedmoor. But I think a XRS chassis would accept an ARCA rail easier.
I did see Ruger had a conversion part for the AICS mags. I do have a question into them via email as I couldn't get them on the phone this morning. If I went this route, I'd have to keep the gumby stock and mount an ARCA underneath. It certainly could work, but less that ideal.

The tikka is certainly an option. But if you're going to load the heavies the one plus is you can get a 1-7" twist barrel and just install it on your Ruger American. Now I'm excited to see what you come up with.

The tikka is certainly an option. But if you're going to load the heavies the one plus is you can get a 1-7" twist barrel and just install it on your Ruger American. Now I'm excited to see what you come up with.
Yep, tracking. I believe the Ruger has a 1:8. That's ok for now as I have a metric crap ton of 77 SMKs and TMKs.

I have seen that you can basically remage a new barrel on the Ruger American with an aftermarket barrel. I would be interested in the heavies down the road going this route...if I keep the rifle.