Ruger American G2 or Howa Mini for 223?

Which factory rifle?

• Ruger American Gen2

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Howa Mini

Votes: 12 70.6%

• Total voters
Either of your choices are going to require work to the trigger, unless you actually like a two-stage trigger, then the edge goes to the Howa.

As for the magazine, both are going to have mags that are not flush. The Howa can be "fixed" with the Jefferson Outdoors bottom metal, so that is another vote for it.

Either way, for me, in order to get the Howa mini to be "ready to hunt", I am going to be spending around $969 ($569 plus tax for the rifle, $169 plus shipping for a Jard single-stage trigger, and $175 plus shipping for the Jefferson Outdoors bottom metal, whenever they actually have them again).
I can get a blued Tikka for $749 plus tax and spend another $125 having the barrel chopped and threaded, so $923. I know which one I am picking.

I have a Ruger Gen 2 American Ranch in 300 BO and a Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel. The Howa is in a Boyd's stock and the Ruger is in a Sharp's Brothers Heatseeker chassis. https://sharpsbros.com/sbc05-heatseeker-chassis-ruger-american-ranch-ar-magazine-fed/ The chassis makes it very hard to get to the Ruger's tang safety, but otherwise it is very nice. Fit and feel is great. With optic and suppressor (CGS Hyperion, 15 ounces) it weighs over 9 lbs. Shooting subsonics it is ridiculously (pellet gun) quiet. The safety is only 2-position but is on the tang.

The Howa is a sweet rifle all around. Lighter than the American Ranch with chassis. But supersonic only in Grendel. So even suppressed it makes a decent crack.

I also have a Tikka T3 Lite in 300 WSM, that rifle without optic weighs about 6.5 lbs, with about 7.5; the Tikka someone referred to in .223 weighs 9 lbs bare. That seems pretty heavy for a .223.

For hunting at the ranges you will be using a .223 / 5.56 anything, I just don't think the trigger, probable accuracy and such are that different between the Ruger and the Howa, for relatively close-in work. Go for the one whose ergonomics - fit, feel, ease of target acquisition, weight - feel best to you, they will all work just fine.

I would do the Howa. I have the ultra light 6.5 grendel and love it. The first three shot group out of it with my new suppressor. It's extremely light and very, very accurate.
IMG_0135.jpeg

I'm wanting to acquire a lightweight .223 Rem hunting rifle and shoot the 77gr TMK based off of the success on big game of the guys over on Rokslide (link below). I've decided to buy a factory rifle that meets my needs. It will be unsuppressed, possibly suppressed in the future. I'm a huge savage fan, but all of their barrels are 9 twist, and you need a 1:8 to stabilize the heavier bullets. My search has brought me to two affordable options: The Ruger American Gen2 and the Howa Mini. I'm hoping SOMEONE on here has one of these rifles and shoot a similar load out of it. I'd love to hear from that person, but feel free to give me your recommendation and your justification for it.

I own two how a minis one for my son and one for myself and 65 Grendel they are awesome accurate rifles.

I was no so much of a Ruger fan until a few years ago.
I now own 2 gen 2s and here are my I observations:
Pros:
V-block action bedding free floats the barrel providing good accuracy
for a factory rifle
Competitive price
Will accept AICS mags for longer
COAL of heavier bullets
Reasonably fast twist
Cons
Gritty feeling bolt action
Trigger is not the best out of the box.

If you change the trigger to a Jard, these rifles can deliver .5 MOA with a good shooter.

I like the 77 grain bullets in .223 as they perform well to greater distance.