Ring recommendation for 50 mm objective mounted to a rail

middleofnowhere

I have a new rifle, it's a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmore
IMG_1253.jpeg

I've never mounted a scope to a rail before, and am confused by all my choices.
This rifle will be used for plinking and California pig hunting on private property ranch.
if this rifle is a shooter, I could see trying to reach out past 500 on the steel targets.
I'm looking at putting a Leupold Mark 3HD 6-18 scope or something similar.
Thanks

TPS products (Tactical Precision Systems) makes their TSR 30mm rings out of 7075-T651 Aluminum, precisely milled from solid billet, with tolerances held to .0002, pretty sweet match for that rig. Medium height would be tall enuff for 50mm obj, they're around a $100 bucks for a pair, and made in USA so still all in , Good Luck.

Last edited:
30mm tube allows for a good selection of ring choices.
Don't skimp too much. Good ain't cheap, and cheap ain't good.

Seekins, Hawkins, ARC, Badger Ordinance, NF, Vortex PMR (made by Seekins).

Something in the .87" medium to .92" medium high. You might clear .82" lows depending on actual Picatinny rail height. Not all are created equally.

I have a new rifle, it's a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmore
View attachment 463178
I've never mounted a scope to a rail before, and am confused by all my choices.
This rifle will be used for plinking and California pig hunting on private property ranch.
if this rifle is a shooter, I could see trying to reach out past 500 on the steel targets.
I'm looking at putting a Leupold Mark 3HD 6-18 scope or something similar.
Thanks
If your budget permits, @lancetkenyon provides you with a list of excellent choices. I like the Hawkins; I have two of them - one 30MM with an anti-cant level on the center and 34MM with an offset version. Good luck!

You have received some excellent advice, but it is not a cut and dry situation as mentioned.

I have a a 50mm Swarovski mounted in low Vortex on an Anti with a Seekins 20 MOA Picatinny that clears fine. Then I have a Browning X-Bolt with a 50mm Tract mounted in medium Seekins on a Murphy Precision 20 MOA Picatinny that clears fine, but would not clear in either Seekins or Vortex lows.

You are going to need to stack coins to figure out exactly what you are going to need to clear the objective and also give you the sight picture you want with proper cheek weld.

ARC M-Brace low. Easiest to install rings I've tried. I've installed a few 50mm obj scopes on picatinny 20MOA rails with 1/4" clearance on heavy barrels.

Last edited:
Check out the Burris Signature Zee rings. The signature series has inserts that guarantees perfect alignment with no pressure points or binding on your scope. They come with +10 and -10 MOA inserts also that allows you to add 20 MOA of cant in your scope. Inserts make 100% contact on the scope tube. Basically the same performance of Hand Lapped rings at an affordable price. You'll want the item# 420588. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
Excellent options listed here. My preference is Hawkins and Seekins. I go Hawkins with most as I like the built in level on the ring top.

Best advice is to not skimp on rings. Cheap rings can make the best rifle and scope suspect when you need it most.

Think those Ruger American rifles sell for $750 at Midway. A guy doesn't have to spend 1/2 the price of the rifle , just to properly put his scope on the rail. A bottle of Boones Farm, take her for a Harley ride, you'll still get there, save the money for a rainy day.

Last edited: