Rifle Weight

I like the idea of a 6 lb rifle, but I really like the stability of a 10lb rifle. My long range gun I'm build will be about 13 lbs. While hauling these isn't great, it is much easier to hit with them, imo.

Are there tricks to shooting big magnums,300 wm or bigger, out of a 6lb rifle?

One farm I hunt here in KY has shots out to 800. However, around here, a long shot will be in the 600 range. The deer I took this past Saturday was 412. I've taken everyone's advice and have the rifle up for sale, and will build a lighter rifle. I'm really gonna try and stay with 6.5 because I have so much reloading components for 6.5.

Nothing wrong with the 6.5 just need a cartridge that will push the bullet faster.

I would get a barrel with a 1 in 7 twist so you can push the heavies with no issues. Eventually heavier bullets will come out and you'll be able to use them.

A 264 Win Mag, a 6.5 SAUM or a 6.5 SS are great options for those ranges.

Nothing wrong with the 6.5 just need a cartridge that will push the bullet faster.

I would get a barrel with a 1 in 7 twist so you can push the heavies with no issues. Eventually heavier bullets will come out and you'll be able to use them.

The wm brass is available at Midsouth (Norma brass).

A 7.5 twist should work fine and 7 definitely not will. 8 should get some of the heavies. I've got a 32" 7.5 for the wm so I'm good. The 32" hhass a Savage Magnum profile and weighs just under a pound heavier than the 30" cf 300wm barrel. I don't think I'll buy anymore cf barrels for ba guns.

I run 147's in my match rifle with a 8 twist. I'm very pleased with their performance on steel out to 1100, which is as far as I've taken them.

MTU on a CM? Way overkill for a hunting rifle. Try a light palma or a CF barrel and keep your 26" length for velocity. 9lbs is a great target weight if packing it much although a Kifaru Nomad2 with haul a howitzer with comfort.

i have a 338 rum that weighs 6 pounds 10 oz with leupold 4.5-14 lr on it!! it definitely lets you know its there:D
I'm building a lightweight 243AI and shooting for 6.5-6.8lbs. I can't imagine how hard a 338 RUM would hammer in such a light package.
I don't mind recoil, but that just sounds straight up savage to me. Ouch!

I'm building a lightweight 243AI and shooting for 6.5-6.8lbs. I can't imagine how hard a 338 RUM would hammer in such a light package.
I don't mind recoil, but that just sounds straight up savage to me. Ouch!
My 28N is barely over six bare rifle and with a 5 port muzzle brakes and more it is less than a 22-250. So with a good brake I would say it would feel about like a 243. Easy shooting I'd bet, and take the brake off your cutting your eyebrow real fast.

I stripped an old savage and put a xcaliber carbon fiber barrel plus a vortex razor hd. I epoxy bedded a hogue aluminum blocked stock. Dnz mount. I'm 8lbs and few ounces. But I've shot it well to 1123 yards.

Oh it's a 26 nosler with 156 bergers. Recoil is bouncy but not painful. I like the 6.5s with the big high b.c. payload. I don't see myself carrying in my bigger guns much anymore unless it's a short distance walk for a real long poke.

Had a question for anyone who would like to chime in. I recently put together a LR hunting rig and I was curious as to what ever one else considered a acceptable weight. This one is a little heavier than I wanted, coming in at 13.8 lbs. It's chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 26" MTU tube. I am thinking of cutting it down to 16.5 and running my can on it, but I don't wanna kill the LR capabilities of the round. From what I can gather, a 140 Interlock would slow to around 25xx FPS if I go with the 16.5" tube. Any information is appreciated. Thank You....
I am just curious why you chose an MTU contour for a hunting rig on this light of a cartridge. What advantages do you find by using this heavy of a barrel (assuming this is a steel barrel)?

If you are still considering lightning your 65 you may want to look into having your barrel fluted. I don't know too much about it but it does make them lighter.

I shoot heavier rifles better than lighter ones.
I carry around a long, heavy (12 lb) rifle because when I take a shot on game I want every advantage.

Remington model 700 xcr tactical 26" fluted stainless barrel in 300wm. It wears a big heavy Vortex scope.