Rifle for suppressed hunting

The blackout is the perfect subsonic build or buy. IMO 233 is wasted attempt and will lead to frustration if you are after quietness. You have to stay at 1050 or below on mv.

Subsonic shine with heavy bullets due to need to keep mv at 1050.

In 30 caliber you will need 1-8 or 1-7 twist.
Lot of specialty bullets for subsonic in 30 caliber, none in 223.

I have 10 and 16 inch barrels and they are spooky quiet in blackout. Nothing else comes close. With suppressor volume is key to quietness. I am using liberty victory magnum which is titanium and larger.

Buy a rem 7 in whisper/blackout

I am running 125 btips at 2450 in same barrels.

id say what ever your ranges are would determine what caliber to go with...if your hunting close quarters at multiple targets id say ar15 in 300 blk shooting subsonics with the ability to do some supersonic work...if your ranges are extended id go bolt gun 308win 1/10 twist supersonic with the ability to go subsonic with a slightly lighter bullet...174 max expansion from lehigh would do well

Lehigh again recommends 1-7 or 1-8 twist. Just grabbing a 1-10 308 and going to shoot lighter subsonic has been proven time and time again not to work reliably and accurately. Subsonic takes the right twist and bullet to work regardless of caliber. In 30 calibers you are talking 1-7 or 1-8. Blackout and 308 subsonic are all 1050 mv and under. No need for the 308 case.

Bolt guns are quieter than AR due to action and gas escaping but quick follow-up shots are easier. Just fact of life. Again suppressor volume is key for quietness.

i agre
Lehigh again recommends 1-7 or 1-8 twist. Just grabbing a 1-10 308 and going to shoot lighter subsonic has been proven time and time again not to work reliably and accurately. Subsonic takes the right twist and bullet to work regardless of caliber. In 30 calibers you are talking 1-7 or 1-8. Blackout and 308 subsonic are all 1050 mv and under. No need for the 308 case.

Bolt guns are quieter than AR due to action and gas escaping but quick follow-up shots are easier. Just fact of life. Again suppressor volume is key for quietness.
i agree 300 blk is the dominant subsonic cartridge of the two .i shoot a 16" blkout with a switch gas block gas off and singe cycle is bolt gun quiet....but i still like shooting 308win subs too ...185 gr corbon match is very accurate in my 1:10

308 with 1-10 Is limited to 200 gr and under

300 blackout shoots 240s and accurate at distances the 308 struggle to match.

I am shooting 4- 5 lb encore and contenders with 10 and 16 inch barrels in blackout and 16 inch 308 1-10. The blackput shoots rings around the 308 subsonic.

Pick up a simple easy to go rem model 7 in each and enjoy

308 with 1-10 Is limited to 200 gr and under

300 blackout shoots 240s and accurate at distances the 308 struggle to match.

I am shooting 4- 5 lb encore and contenders with 10 and 16 inch barrels in blackout and 16 inch 308 1-10. The blackput shoots rings around the 308 subsonic.

Pick up a simple easy to go rem model 7 in each and enjoy
i thought about having a encore or contender barrel made in 45 acp ...id love to have a bolt gun in 45 acp...lol

I had my rossi 92 lever 45colt threaded for my AAC TiRant, and yes, it is as quiet as you'd think. unhooking an airhose in the shop is about as loud, maybe louder. It shoots the 250grRNFP like a rainbow, but it sure is quiet and faster to reload than a bolt, plus it holds 10rds. Consider a cheaper lever for your suppressed sub-sonic toy.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.