Retumbo Data For 7.82 Warbird

Swamplord

Does anybody else out here load and shoot Lazzeroni's 7.82 Warbird?
I have a SAKO TRG-S 26" bbl.
I need data with Retumbo for 180-200 grn Accubond bullets.

My current load consists of 180 grn. Swift A-Frame's and 104.5 grns. of Reloder 25 for a 20 shot average of 3474 fps (bullets coated with tungsten disulfide)
I get 1/2" 3-shot groups @ 100 yards

I want to take advantage of the higher BC that the 200 grn. Accubond has .588 vs. .400 for the Swift.

Any info will be appreciated..
Thanks

Martusheff, I never did try Retumbo in my WarBird I stuck with RL25. I'm glad to hear your WarBird is shooting well for you, one problem with the TRG-S was the bedding and recoil lug. There is a good thread on this site on replacing the recoil lug and glass bedding the action, this cut my group size in half. I had so many problems with my rifle I eventualy gave up and sent it back and got a Hunter 75 300WM. RL19 works awesome with 168gr TSX as well, the RL25 worked well with 200gr Accubonds. Best of Luck. Ken
smile.gif

N. Sniper, sorry to hear 'bout your bad luck with the Warbird, my brother and I bought ours at the same time (he had his bbl. braked by a gunsmith, I let mine alone) we have no problems with them so far, both rifles shoot 1/2 inch groups with identical loads (104.5 grns. RL 25, 180 Swift A-Frames, bullets coated with Tungsten Disulfide).
The only difference in our rifles is my brother gets 50 fps more, maybe the muzzle brake helps out, I dunno...

My reason for Retumbo is to try to get the utmost in velocity (flatter trajectory, not bragging rights) without pressure increase using the 200 grn. Accubonds.

Proman you might try e-mailing Lazzeroni and hitting John up for data. I've used IMR7828, RL19, RL22, RL25 with various bullets including 180 Accubonds. Right now I'm shooting 103gr of RL25 behind a 180 Accubond at 3550. If you can't find data you might start with 300RUM data and work up CAREFULLY.

Good luck
smile.gif

Hey birdshooter, I was wondering about your 3550 fps with the 180 Accubond and 103.0 grns. of rl 25, are you shooting a Lazzeroni Rifle w/ 27" bbl (12" twist)???

Mine is the Sako TRG-S with a 26" bbl,
My load is 104.5 grns. rl 25 and i'm going only 3474 fps......gakkk..

I think I may have just answered my own question, It may not be bbl length or twist, you must be shooting "naked" bullets, (more friction, higher pressures = higher velocity)

I'm squeezin' coated bullets, (slippery bullets, lower pressures = lower velocity!!)

I did work up to 106 grns. rl 25 to get the magic 3550+ fps (accuracy sucked) but at the expense of flattened primers and loose pockets, so naturally I had to back down.

Reloading is something isn't it!!!

Proman
From what I have seen every gun is unique. My set up is a 27" Lilja 14 twist tube on a 700 action. That 3550 is with the 180 Accubond uncoated.
I have messed around with a TRG chambered to Warbird. It suffers from the poor recoil lug design N Sniper mentioned. I'm still working at it but I think without metal work it is going to end up being a .75" gun. So far the load in that Sako looks like 93.7gr IMR7828 and a 180 Accubond at 3.690 OAL and 3425fps.
I have noticed the difference between coated/uncoated. Seems like the Barnes X/XLC becomes a completely different animal.

I keep hearing that the brass for the 7,82 Warbird is crap, in terms of inconsistancy in either weight or case walls being too thick or thin. What are your thoughts?

Nighthawk, I have heard negative reports about the quality of Lazzeroni brass, most of it is due to the fact that fellas (like me, several times) try to match Lazzeroni listed velocity (27" bbl 12 twist) with the Sako TRG-S (26" bbl twist ?)
What happens is pressures rise with these hot loads and after just a few firings the primer pockets get so loose you can place a primer in with your fingers and they fall right back out!
As for split necks and other brass failures I have yet too see any, I'm sure other shooters have had trouble with that.

To remedy that problem I coat my bullets with Tungsten Disulfide, and backed down far enough on the powder to achieve 3474 fps (180 grn bullets), with this new lot of brass I'm on my fifth firing and so far so good.. I noticed for a given max load with the Warbird, slight increases of powder spikes pressures rapidly and starts busting the primer pockets loose, (I've got quite the collection of Warbird keychain doodads!!)

Birdshooter, I noticed you hail from Oregon, (what part?)
I moved to Alaska in '76 from the Woodburn/Gervais area, (Marion County)
Sure miss fishin' for those tasty bluegill..

There is a discussion on the Warbird going on in www.thehunterslife.com
You'll find some more info in the reloading section, just look for any of the Lazzeroni Warbird threads, might help answer some of your Questions. Give a holler if you find us Warbird fans on that forum!!
(I'm proman1 there also)

Proman
I live farther south, down near Roseburg. I also have quite a few of those keychains
rolleyes.gif

Nighthawk
Yes the brass leaves a lot to be desired. I weighed 40 of 'em and 30 fell within a 1.5gr plus/minus of 335gr and the other 10 were clustered similarly around 330gr. How that compares to anything similar I can't say. I have also ran a lot that had unusually thin necks. Normally I see around .015" but this stuff was like .010". I would expect to see the same problems in all of the brass as it's all made at the same place.

Maybe we could remedy that problem if we called Lazzeroni and Mast and insisted that they inprove quality. It may be a long shot, but I think their rounds are cool.

Nighthawk, John Lazzeroni is a very aproachable person I have exchanged e-mails with him a number of times as have other people I know, he relpies promptly and sometimes even within a few minutes. Also some people have phoned John and spoken to him on the phone, why not give him a shout and let us know what he has to say.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts