repeater actions for 416 rigby and larger

ARlife4me

my search only came back with stiller and dillon, but not in repeaters? the rigby bolt faces are easier to find (well for me anyway). for the 375 and up calibers using gibbs and ? faces is my query? looking for options that are NOT single fed. is there a minimum bolt diameter best for strength (ie, .750 vs .800+)? possibly more question too follow?

The best repeater in 416 Rigby and larger are the CZ 550 Safari Magnum actions.
I have 3, one is plain Jane 416 Rigby. The other 2 are highly modified switch barrels to utilise my 416 Rigby Improved cartridges in 30, 33, 37 & prototype 408. These 2 have been made into single shots so I can run 4.1"+ rounds through them, rear bridge, ejector blade and internal milling so loaded rounds will eject.
These are no longer made, but are still cheap enough on the used market. Barrels don't need extractor cuts, makes it easy to use shouldered barrels.
Other than those, Borden makes the perfect action size and bolt diameter.

Cheers.

my search only came back with stiller and dillon, but not in repeaters? the rigby bolt faces are easier to find (well for me anyway). for the 375 and up calibers using gibbs and ? faces is my query? looking for options that are NOT single fed. is there a minimum bolt diameter best for strength (ie, .750 vs .800+)? possibly more question too follow?
There is also Granite Mountain, if you're willing to wait and spend the money.... about as good an action as can be had.

Nothing wrong with the Weatherby MKV action for building big repeaters. They handle the 460 Bee, a 416 would be no problem. The CZ is another good choice, as are the modern Ruger, Mauser, Blaser and Steyer actions. There are no shortage of choices. If you want to get real spendy you can order one made by Rigby or Holland and Holland.

This site takes a LONG time to load.

Last edited:

Recent Posts