Removing Moly from Bullets with Rice

drakehammer

Today I made my first attempt at removing the moly coating from two boxes (100 total) of 7mm 160gr CT Partition Gold bullets, and I think it worked out well.
What I did…
Tumbled 100 moly coated bullets & 1/2 of a 48oz bag of white, long grain rice in a small Harbor Freight vibratory tumbler for about 2.5 hours. Then I separated the bullets from the dirty rice and discarded the rice. This removed about 1/2 or maybe more of the moly from the bullets. Next, I wiped as much of the powdery residue from the tumbler bowl with paper towels and repeated the process, tumbling the bullets a second time with the remaining 1/2 bag of rice for another 2.5 hours. I separated the bullets from the dirty rice and discarded the rice once again. At this point the bullets were essentially clean, however I chose to wash the bullets two or three times by hand in hot water with plenty of Dawn. Based on the successive water color changes, I am confident the bullets are now Moly-free. I dried the bullets at 250°F for 1/2 hour and this is what they look like. Total cost was $3. Now I'm looking forward to loading them in my 7mm STW.

Attachments

• IMG_4959.jpeg
    IMG_4959.jpeg
    458.5 KB · Views: 10

Recent Posts