Remington SPS outta the box accuracy?

deermaster

I am looking for a new rifle, and have found two that are in my price range of about 550$ max.
The Savage 111 and the Remington SPS. It will be either a .300 mag or 30/06.
I want a rifle that is capable of 400 yd deer hunting accuracy out of the box, but that can be improved as I get the money and skill to shoot further and further.

Is the SPS capable of a MOA or slightly bigger out of the box too 400 yds? Or would I be better off with the Savage 111? Thanks, I appreciate any info.

I love my sps. picked it up from a pawn shop for $300 and was going to use it as a donor rifle until i was bored one day and slapped a scope on it, loaded up 107 SMK's i had laying around and headed to the range i was completely blown away by the accuracy! I can't say this is the norm in a SPS but i know this rifle won't be getting touched until the barrel is shot out! Mine is a .243 win 700 SPS.

IMAG0357-1.jpg

I have always been a big savage fan, but I just picked up a SPS. Remington 223 sps tactical for $400 after rebate. 1:9" twist, I bought factory 50gr ballistic tips and it shoots right at 3/4" at 100yds. Can't wait to see what it will do with reloads. Now that remington is putting in the nicer trigger, which is pretty nice. I guess what I am saying is either one should get the job done. See which one fits and you like the best and go from there.

Brent

Many Remington SPS rifles will shoot under 1 moa, but many will not. Remington's standard is 2 moa for production rifles. Expect 1.5 moa on average. Yes, there are many accuracy fixes available for the Model 700. These are available because there are lots of Model 700 rifles — and because lots of consumers have been dissatisfied with the accuracy of their production rifles.

Savage rifles of today are likely to be much more accurate than their corresponding Remington model. Savage has focussed on accuracy over all else, and has succeeded at a very reasonable price. The Savage Accu-Triger & Accu-Stock give you with the Savage what are likely to be your first two upgrades with a Remington.

Hands down, Savage wins for out of the box accuracy!

Brother inlaw has a Savage 116 in 30-06, and the rifle shoots 3/4" groups with factory loaded Federal 165 grain Supremes. It's exactly the sameway it was shipped except for the 3x-9x Leupold scope. Brother had an older 700 ADL that was as shipped except for some trigger work. It shot slightly over 1/2" groups very consistently (this was a late 1970's rifle). He sells it to a buddy and buys another, and it shoots 1 1/4" groups. Yet his 700 Mountain Rifle in .257 shoots 5/8's groups with hand loads. I think with Remington it's a crap shoot! Sometimes you get a good one and other times you get a dog.
gary

I have been a remington fan all my life and still shoot them but I would have to say that the percentages are probably better of getting a savage that shoots moa than a remmy at this date....Rich

I have a sps tactical I bedded in a Bell and Carlson A5 that shoots 69smk over 23.5 xbr8208 in the 2's all day. I didn't shoot it in the factory stock but don't assume it made a great deal of difference. I will say the factory stock had a little flex when mounted on a bi pod.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.