Remington factory dbm conversion question

kfrye

Afternoon guys,
I have an older prefix-less 700 ADL in 22-250 that I restocked with a factory BDL stock with the DBM bottom metal.
Everything went together fine, shoots great without a bedding job. My issue is with a full magazine the first round ( on the left side) usually won't get picked up. If you remove it the bolt will catch the right one fine.

Remington never made these in 22-250, the smallest was 243.
Any guidance short of trying a 243 case to see how it works or a trip to the gunsmith?
Thanks

Whose bottom metal/DBM did you use, and whose mag/for which calibers?
.22-250 is usually a problem because of the case taper- the rounds want to "banana" in AI pattern mags. I'm surprised it's only a problem on the first round- you're saying all the rounds feed properly after the first (left side)?

Just take your time and look at the rounds as they pop up and how they present to the boltface from each side.

I had a similar issue with mine in a Magnum. The clip rides in the bottom metal, so what I did was removed some material where the trigger guard/bottom metal sat, essentially so it sat up higher inside the stock and it went away. I think I also milled the rear of the trigger guard a little but careful on that, it gets thin easy and will break.

22-250 can be an odd one when feeding from a magazine. The rather high amount of case taper is the culprit. That is compounded when using a high capacity magazine. H-S Precision only offers a low capacity magazine(4 rounds) for 22-250, while most other short action calibers are offered with a low, medium and high capacity mag. You may be able to adjust the feed lips to get the base of the round to present higher in the magazine which should allow the bolt to pick it up easier.

Recent Posts