Remington 700 picks and choses when to fire

I got lost on this post but a long time ago, I had a 700BDL Varmint Special. I had a very reoutable gunsmith do a trigger job. This was back in the early 1970's. When I cleaned the bolt, I doused iy liberally wit Rem-Oil. At the time it came "with Teflom" .

After this when I closed the bolt, it would "slam-fire". Not Good. I quickly sprayed it with degreaser and started over. It worked fine after that. Just leave a factory trigger alone. If you want a 1# pull weight install a Trigger Tech Diamond or if a target only rifle, a Jewell.

Don't think that was for me.
Ok so I have an update. I pulled the bolt apart and have it a good cleaning. I took a wire and poked it through the firing pin hole and I felt some resistance at first. Popped it through and did that a couple times till it was gliding in and out smoothly. I think there was some carbon or something there. Took it to the range after 40 rounds shot no a single mishap. Seems to be good to go. I appreciate everyone's knowledge on this topic. Before I had a couple every hundred do this so if I run o to this again I'll be changing the spring.

Clean and never ever use WD-40 again. WD-40 bring the worst ever spay to enter a rifle action! But there is no need for other lubricants as well. If you were shooting this rifle in competition that requires 50+ rounds per usage and in warm weather, you might consider Rem Oil or Lubricant.

If your rifle continues to malfunction, send me an offer.

I have something to add that I haven't noticed mentioned.

I have a Winchester Model 70 in 30.06 that does just this thing; every once and a while misfires. Bolt has been disassembled, cleaned and checked by myself and others knowledgable. Problem remains. I've bought a new spring and will install soon.

What I wanted to mention, is that when this happens, the normal, human reaction is outright panic, and to frantically work the action.

Animals, just like us, visually key in on movement the best. I suggest, when having a misfire, to hold as still as a dead man. Often, after a bit, the animal will go back to grazing, and you can carefully re-cock and get another chance.

Vettepillot