Remington 700 picks and choses when to fire

Chesterrose79

I have a Remington 700 308. Has about 5000 rounds on the action. Just recently about every 50 rounds it will fail to fire. I will eject the round and there will be a firing pin imprint on the primer that seems the same as all of the other fired rounds. I'll put the round back in the gun and it will fire. Could this be a firing pin issue or a spring issue? Or both? Thank I'm advance for your knowledge.

Merry Christmas

Handloads or factory ammo? Have you disassembled the firing pin assembly from the bolt and cleaned it lately?
I have a Remington 700 308. Has about 5000 rounds on the action. Just recently about every 50 rounds it will fail to fire. I will eject the round and there will be a firing pin imprint on the primer that seems the same as all of the other fired rounds. I'll put the round back in the gun and it will fire. Could this be a firing pin issue or a spring issue? Or both? Thank I'm advance for your knowledge.

Merry Christmas
Try taking the bolt apart and clean both the bolt & firing pin assembly. It could be dirty or the oil you use could Gun up, especially in cold temps. I used shooters lube until it gummed up on me while hunting. I threw it out and went back to Rem Oil and never had another problem. Look at those 2 things first IMO.

Merry Christmas
There can be several causes of misfires like this. The first question of course is factory, hand loads or both? With factory loads this is most likely caused by a gunked up firing pin. Do not lubricate a firing pin, especially in cold weather since the oil has a tendency to stiffen up and restrict the movement of the firing pin, especially if the spring is also gunked up. If you feel the absolute need to lube a firing pin use a dry lube.

If this is only happening with hand loads the culprit, especially if you can put it back into the rifle and it fires is a primer that was not seated properly when it was loaded. In this case the first hit of the firing pin seats the primer all the way into the pocket, the second attempt actually fires the cartridge. Remember to treat any time the cartridge does not fire like a hang fire. Keep the muzzle pointed down range for at least 30 seconds before ejecting. If you immediately eject a smoldering cartridge it can blow up in your hand. Any time a cartridge does not fire treat it like a hang fire until proven otherwise. The hand you save may be your own. :eek:

Strikers (firing pins) are generally OK but their springs take a set and get shorter delivering less striker energy and velocity.

Go here and you will find they generally make 3 springs for most rifles, FACTORY , stronger spring and a much stronger spring.

I generally get the middle one.

Disassemble the bolt and measure the free length (uncompressed) against the one you just bought and you will probably find it to be shorter.

Teri Anne nailed the biggest reason I found to have soft hits on the primer. For what ever reason alot of people out oil all around the firing pin. Order a stiffer firing pin spring, when you disassemble the firing pin to clean everything just go ahead and replace the spring while you are in there. Someone suggested using a dry lube, that works great.

Last edited:
Contrary to old dive's tales about springs wearing out under tension or taking a set, that doesn't happen. The same old myth has been going around for years about magazine springs. Metal fatigues from being worked so if the spring is weak it is likely from the 5000 rounds that have been fired through it.

I would disassemble the bolt and put in a new firing pin spring and firing pin. It wouldn't hurt to clean it too.

It chooses when to fire…kind of like this?
938967FA-6A0B-4C9F-8D36-95047D13803D.gif

Last edited: