Remington 700 CDL 30.06

Sorry... can't help with the new one's.
But... I have 2 mid 90's Rem 700 stainless 30-06 rifles that shoot very well and will always remain in my collection!
I know there were some earlier CDL models. I had a chance to buy a 270 years ago and passed, They'er beautiful rifles. Thanks for the reply.

Haven’t bought a new production Rem 700, but I did buy 3 Sendero II rifles with #RR prefix serial numbers to build off and apart from bolt timing issues, they were very concentric in the machining of the actions. I was pleasantly surprised that they trued up so easily.
The newer production should be very good being done on CNC machines.

Cheers.

Most recent production 700s aren't the greatest. Mine was hanging up in cycling. Ended up taking a stone to It in a few spots to smooth it out. It has a timney trigger but I found after purchasing it's not adjustable. I actually bought this 06 to build off the action. I'm having hart make me a cdl sf barrel in 280ai and I'll be putting it in a bdl laminate stock.

Not a CDL 30-06, but I bought a Varmint RemArms SPS in .223 with 1/8 twist just a couple of months ago. I've found that it likes 77 grain Tipped Match Kings, will shoot ten round groups usually .75 MOA and sometimes tighter than that. Drawback on the rifle, was the original Timney, did not like it, so replaced with a Triggertech. Cycling of the bolt was a little rough, but has since smoothed out. I've been pleasantly surprised that this rifle has been shooting so well, especially since it sits in a cheapie OEM plastic stock. A new H-S Precision stock should be here tomorrow!

I think the new RemArms is doing a pretty good job.

Surprised you had an issue with the newer ones. I have 4 of them (.ser no.prefix is RAR) that I'm using for donors except for one 308 that shoots very well with the remington barrel. All the new barrels are 5R and many have new faster twist for heavy bullets.
The 7rem mag was a 1-8 twist for example. For a donor action, they are much better machined than the late ones from the old company. Action face is square to the bolt rail and the bolt locking lugs had much better contact. 3 of the 4 actions had 100% from the factory. Didn't care about the trigger as all were replaced with trigger tech. Magazine wells were also cut for longer after market mags. All mine were SPS models acquired from Brownells who is much more competitive these days with pricing. I have their annual flat rate shipping deal so no shipping charge on any of them. I would make sure that any "new" 700 had the RAR.serial #. Happy.they have moved to Ga.

I agree with what others have said about the new Remington 700. I wish some of the older cartridges had a faster twist I. E. 270 with 1-9 but I am happy to see those same cartridges with 24" barrels. Never understood why that much case capacity in an '06 case was only 22". I just looked the CDL up on one of my vendor's sires and they didn't have a CDL 30-06 but the cost should be close to $1,000.00. I had a CDL in 280 20 years ago and wish I had kept it.

If you find one SF I suggest you buy it quickly. After searching they seem to be scarce these days in 30 06.

Last edited:
I had at one time a very nice collection of SF models when the market got hot and the remy cult was buying stuff way over priced I purged them.

Only model that just didn't shoot for me was the 260 others were very accurate and sexy rifles. 30-06 combo was shooting 165's if my memory serves me but I wasn't the biggest 06 fan so it didn't get shot allot. I do recall that one being decent on accuracy if a man was loading it would prove to be more accurate. A nice SF model with a matching Léopold offers a cool rig IMO.

I've heard bad things about some of the rem line over the years - honestly I kinda lost my love when they fell in trouble and saved kinda like general motors don't drive them either - that's just me and where I'll spend my money. They have generations worth of value, find a cool combo and if your an 06 fan it will be fine. The models I had were the mountain, cdl and cdl SF not necessarily in 06 but over the years and I liked them.

I have one of the new variant SPS’s in 30-06 and it’s a solid 1/2” rifle with 150’s and my handloads. The action is a little gritty feeling but it’s because of the finish used. The CDL shouldn’t have that problem. I just hunt with it though and don’t have to do much speed shifting. I did change the trigger to a Trigger Tech.