• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

REMINGTON 700 BARRELED ACTIONS from PTG

6mm creedmoor showed up.
7FCF32BC-E7F8-4E1C-9F19-73E0F8B0A20C.jpeg
D31C58CD-7509-41B9-8C21-5B44BBEE425F.jpeg

I just got the last three of the four that I ordered. One had an issue and they asked me to ship it back to fix it.

I'm very happy with my purchases, these all look like premium barrels. I will post pics when I get them all together. I'm still chasing down some parts.

I just got the last three of the four that I ordered. One had an issue and they asked me to ship it back to fix it.

I'm very happy with my purchases, these all look like premium barrels. I will post pics when I get them all together. I'm still chasing down some parts.
Did you bore scope them?

The one I got looks like a factory barrel on the outside. To the naked eye it looks better than a lot of Remington barrels on the inside, but it does not look like a custom hand lapped barrel either. Again, naked eye. Oddly it's a 5-groove barrel, but does not say 5-R anywhere on it.

Did you bore scope them?

The one I got looks like a factory barrel on the outside. To the naked eye it looks better than a lot of Remington barrels on the inside, but it does not look like a custom hand lapped barrel either. Again, naked eye. Oddly it's a 5-groove barrel, but does not say 5-R anywhere on it.

No bore scope, but they don't look anything like a factory bore to the naked eye....much smoother. They do have the factory remington markings.

No bore scope, but they don't look anything like a factory bore to the naked eye....much smoother. They do have the factory remington markings.
They chamber like a good stainless barrel not a chrome moly barrel.

Kasey

They chamber like a good stainless barrel not a chrome moly barrel.

Kasey
Mine was stainless anyway, so that doesn't tell me much.

Is there any evidence that a custom makers chrome-moly barrel chambers "like a good stainless barrel"? It would not surprise me if they do in fact machine a little better since they would not be hammer forged, and some barrel makers do cryo treatments which may also improve machining. I've never owned a chrome-moly barrel from a custom maker, so I can't speak from experience.

Last edited:
I occasionally encounter some very smooth Remington factory barrels, and occasionally encounter some incredibly rough factory Remington barrels. The one I have is definitely on the better end, but still, to the naked eye, doesn't look as good as any of my hand lapped custom barrels.

Until someone with a bore scope is declaring these custom barrels, or better yet posting bore scope pics, I'm not comfortable saying they're definitely custom. I'm also not saying they're definitely factory, but in spite of mine looking a little better than a factory barrel, I'm leaning toward it being a factory barrel that happens to be pretty good.

Is it possible that Remington only sent better looking barrels to the custom shop? It is an absolute fact that some of the rifles models on the list were sold as Remington Custom Shop guns, whose advertising literature suggested that they were factory hammer forged barrels.

How bout shoot it.. if it shoots good roll with it?

Kasey
Cause I may end up selling it, and it'll sell better unfired, and I'm not going to lie and claim it's definitely a custom barrel, when the only evidence that backs that up is a add quoting Dave Kiff.

Link below to what a lot of these barreled actions are. Many other models on the PT&G list also came with factory barrels.

After the email I received from Stan saying they shorted him 600 and had them ship him more makes me think they are run of the mill barreled actions. Custom shop didn't put that many rifles out to have a extra 600 laying around