Remington 700 adl to bdl

Trooper21986

Can anyone help me out on where to start ? I have a wood adl and would like to turn it into a bdl ! Already have metal just would like to hear from someone who's done it ! Can it be done or am I starting a migraine ?

Get some long, headless action bolts. Put action in stock and turn upside down. Slide the bdl bottom metal down the bolts and mark your cut lines......go slow and slowly inlet/remove wood. The long bolts will keep everything lined up, and being headless, you can quickly take the bottom metal on and off. I personally use chisels, but you could bulk out the middle with a router. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!

Get some long, headless action bolts. Put action in stock and turn upside down. Slide the bdl bottom metal down the bolts and mark your cut lines......go slow and slowly inlet/remove wood. The long bolts will keep everything lined up, and being headless, you can quickly take the bottom metal on and off. I personally use chisels, but you could bulk out the middle with a router. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!

And when you get all of that done replace the ADL mag box with the BDL mag box or, grind .250" off of the bottom of the ADL mag box.

I know this is an added expense, but couldn't you buy a take off stock? That might be easier in the long run.

if it's a long action, I'll give you one. Or go to Stocky's stocks.
Rhett
I've got a synthetic . It's an xtr in 375 h&h . I'm hoping 2 things . A it'll look better and b, the little more weight will help in recoil . If yours is wood , I sure wouldn't mind getting around this little brain ache ! Pm me !

I'd buy a new stock. You can find "take off" stock. Or get a custom carbon fiber stock I ordered an HS Precision stock and got the benefit on an aluminum bedding block an an excellent fit. I you are dead set on using the ADL stock, the modification can be easily done on a milling machine.

A dremmel with a router attachment and bit would be your best friend for this. I recently inletted a winchester model 70 stock to a Marlin MR-7, slightly different/bigger inletting than the winchester bit screw hole spacing is the same, the rifle was only made for 3 years so noone makes stocks for them but luckily they are similar to a win model 70.

Anyway, do as stated with the headless bolts (available at any ace hardware, 1/4x28 thread pitch) and outline your metal, be careful to measure the depth of the front and rear of the floorplate and have your router attachment go that deep. If done right and you go slow, it will come out looking like this
20190315_161446.jpg
20190315_171307.jpg
20190315_161520.jpg

All that is fresh inletting, done by hand with that tool. Trust my, it's worth it. And btw, that dremmel tool was less than $30 through amazon and has worked great, I have used it a ton and it is just as good as any brand name dremmel I have used. Here is a link if you don't have a dremmel

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FXQYNHP/?tag=lrhmag19-20

Hope this helps. Good luck

First practice inletting on it, then throw the plastic *** stock away and buy a nice factory walnut take-off BDL or CDL stock. Or better yet, buy a laminate BDL stock in your favorite color scheme. A nice used walnut or laminate stock can be had from Gunbroker or eBay for under $100.00, if you are patient. For a new stock, Boyd's or Stocky's are two great sources. Then, do yourself and your rifle a favor and do a quality bedding job on it! I prefer pillar bedding but, if you haven't bedded a rifle stock before, just a regular bedding job will do and will give you valuable experience.

Can anyone help me out on where to start ? I have a wood adl and would like to turn it into a bdl ! Already have metal just would like to hear from someone who's done it ! Can it be done or am I starting a migraine ?
I've converted a few. I went the simple route and booger a BDL stock and BDL internal mag. AFL and BDL mags are different size!! Put the action in, put new mag, follower, spring and metal on and your done. Make sure you have a set of bolts for the bottom metal.

I have ground down ADL boxes to BDL size. Saves a little money. Better option especially in short actions is to order a Wilde box, have the the action machined to fit the box and have the advantage seating bullets out further to gain case volume and maybe enhance accuracy by seating bullets closer to the rifling.