Remembering D-Day

Europe is doing exactly what we should be doing. 🤷🏻‍♂️ .

Why aren't we recognizing this world changing day in history?

Because this nation is not what it once was, to answer the question.

The glider soldiers were either suicidal or baddest on planet. They knew they would be extremely lucky to even walk away on ground. Plus flying in behind enemy lines landing a cardboard "aircraft " IN THE DARK that you make for your kids to play in from fridge delivery.
Like the stealth of the glider arrival, long as a guy has altitude, still have options and ideas for the sneak attack mode. The darkness on a parachute jump, not a problem. Think the WWII boys had a few good stories to tell when it was over, never heard a bad story, from a WWII vet.

1717689441027.jpeg

It was quite a different world back in 40's, as German POW's would sometimes be shipped back to the States, to help on farms and ranches, putting up hay and milking the cows, This while the American boys were over in England loading up B-17's for bombing runs over Germany.

It was quite a different world back in 40's, as German POW's would sometimes be shipped back to the States, to help on farms and ranches, putting up hay and milking the cows, This while the American boys were over in England loading up B-17's for bombing runs over Germany.
German POW`s were put to work in Alabama on road maintenance crews. Mom said it was a pretty common sight. She also said that as a group they were the best looking young men she`d ever seen!

Hoping everyone recognizes this invasion battle is the sole reason we won the war. The loss of life today was staggering and yet these courageous warriors pushed ahead into deadly fire.

I stood in several of these bunkers in June 1994, the 50th anniversary of the invasion and was overwhelmed by the thought of how many men were slaughtered from the very spot I stood. The cemetery of white crosses perfectly aligned was both sobering and an emotional experience I believe every American should go through. The caissons still on beaches, wrecks in ocean both watercraft and vehicles. It doesn't take much imagination to see in your mind how these men fought through such formidable odds to break through and start the retaking of France.

If you ever have a chance to go there, I highly recommend.

Freedom isn't FREE!

God bless America!
I am in Rouen right now - plan was to spend today at Omaha, but two weeks ago they announced all roads into the beaches would be closed due to the high number of heads of state, including Biden. The plan is to cover Omaha and Utah tomorrow, as well as St. Mere Eglise. We did get to the Pegasus Bridge today, but that was as close as we got.

We will never be able to payback thr service men and women that have given all for us. The least we should do is take care of those that made it home before helping anyone else. The way we treat our veterans is appalling and we should all be ashamed. God bless all that have served and especially those that gave all!

My Dad and father in law were both in the European theater during WWII. They both came home with Purple Hearts and other medals, having been in the thick of hostile action. It is interesting how many WWII vets deflected the horror of what they saw there by telling humorous stories instead. But Dad did eventually write up an account of how he became a POW in Germany in winter, and what that experience was like. Amazing survival story.

One new facility that does a great job of memorializing WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam is the National Museum of Military Vehicles in Dubois, Wyoming. Dan Starks, a private individual has built this museum, and his goal was to pay respects to veterans of all our wars, tell the stories of those conflicts through the men and machines involved, and to also tell the story of the decline of American industry and the peril into which that has put us as a nation. He has done an amazing job in pursuing this goal. I would highly recommend a visit, absolutely take the free interpretive tours for the different wings that tell the story, and and plan a couple of days to absorb the whole story they are trying to convey. Veterans get free admission.

See below for a short blurb and a link to the NMMV website. Visit it if you can and get educated on our real history.

National Museum of Military Vehicles

The award-winning National Museum of Military Vehicles is a world-class military history museum which opened southeast of Dubois, WY in August of 2020. Inside the 160,000 sq. foot Museum, visitors will find nearly 500 fully restored military vehicles, artillery pieces, naval vessels and aircraft dating from 1897 to the present with a current emphasis on the American experience in World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. The focus of the museum is to tell the stories of how these vehicles were used and to remember the valor of service members who fought, and sometimes died, in them.

The museum also houses a large, historically significant, firearms collection.

The privately funded $100M museum was founded by Dan and Cynthia Starks. Dan Starks is a former attorney and former CEO of St. Jude Medical.

Museum Mission

To honor the service and sacrifice of our veterans and their families; To educate next generations on the history of American freedom; To preserve and share historic military vehicles.

I got to be in a prayer service a few days before the 50th anniversary sitting on the bluff above Omaha beach. An old Dutchmen led us in a prayer. He was 14 when the Nazis took the Netherlands. He brought tears to my eyes thanking America for their sacrifice.
Also visited the American cemetery. It was pristine!

My Great Uncle was a paratrooper with the 82nd Airborne. during WWII.
He never spoke of his experiences to the family other than his sister (my grandmother).
She had one of those old large hat boxes filled with letters he sent between battles on his deployment.
The stories she told me about his experiences there were of the absolutely incredible tenacity of the American soldiers and it would bring tears to my eyes every time I thought about it... even today as I write this.

He had drops throughout the American involvement in the war in just about every country that held major battlefronts from the North African countries on into Europe.
He was dropped in Normandy behind the Utah Beach German lines to fight off advancements of other German divisions during the Omaha and Utah Beach invasion.
After battle, they had long walks/rides to the nearest pick-up spot to regroup, reload and hit the next drop!
His last was in Belgium for the Battle of the Bulge.
When he returned...His full uniform with the medals, along with his helmet with a bullet hole through it that missed his head, was kept in an armoire at his mothers home and we were only allowed to look but never to touch it.

These men were unbelievable!

My deepest respect and gratitude for those men who serve or have served to keep us safe!!

THANK YOU ALL!!

Last edited:
Kalamazoo Air Zoo has great WWII aircraft collection. I took my dad there many years ago when he was starting to fail and was in wheelchair. We stopped at F4U and he told me everything about it since he was primary mechanic on it and SBD. On the SBD, he was also rear gunner behind pilot. So when we got to the SBD, he virtually welled up with emotion. While we were talking, museum director saw my dad talking and asked him if he flew in one. Yes in Pacific which director asked him if he would sign maintenance access door on wing! My dad popped out of wheelchair like he didn't need it! Then went on to explain what the access point was for in maintenance which was funny. So although my dad is passed, I have a SBD to visit and hopefully I can get access to the door for a photo.

Interesting fact is SBD pilots trained on Lake Michigan landing on make shift carriers from freighters.! This SBD was recovered and restored from Lake Michigan! There are still quite a few on bottom of lake due to various flight failures.

My father was there also but would never talk about what they saw and did.The only time i can remember the tv was on a movie when the soldiers were wading towards the beach and he was walking by stoped looked at the tv and said thats similar to how it was.I also was left a flag and a box of medals one being a bronze star which i look at and wonder!

I am in Rouen right now - plan was to spend today at Omaha, but two weeks ago they announced all roads into the beaches would be closed due to the high number of heads of state, including Biden. The plan is to cover Omaha and Utah tomorrow, as well as St. Mere Eglise. We did get to the Pegasus Bridge today, but that was as close as we got.
If you get to Clecy, the Le Moulin Du Vey is an old grist mill on river and they use to have accommodations in the grist mill. The pleasing noise of the water wheel was perfect white noise to sleep!! I use to go to Conde Sur Noreau on business quite a bit and this was very nice relaxing place. Have not been there in years but entrance was through rose lined entrance.

Recent Posts