Rem model 700 police MLR in 338 lapua

Someone posted the remmy part# wrong it is 26545. Got lucky on mine didn't take but 2 weeks to get it once I found out who had them. Their is very few wholesalers in the country that can even get the rifle from remington. I paid 975 plus tax for mine, Great shooting gun, barrel needs to be longer only 24.5 before the brake

Hi,

It has been a long wait but I finally got the Remington 700P .338 Lapua after waiting about 20 months. I had given up. It has a muzzle brake and is as previously posted on this post by a member. I have not yet set it up with a scope as I am not sure my Bausch&Lomb (now Bushnell Elite) 4200 6-24 X 40 target scope will be able to stand up to the recoil although it has a muzzle brake. I prefer to check before ruining it. Any suggestions would be welcome. The Schmidt Bender 8-25 x 50 and Leupold Mark 4 are suitable but quite expensive. Nightforce should have a few suitable scopes for hunting elk long range. Naturally, I would use a lower powered 250 gr or less shell for hunting.

I hope you were able to get one. Some people have complained about bore roughness and poor machining on the Internet but I have yet to check this on mine with a quality borescope.

The price was around $1000 US.

Best regards

I have a M700 MLR in .338 Lapua. My advice is if you can find one don't buy it! The bore is rough and accuracy falls off after just a few shots. It is near impossible to clean because of the gilding material left in the bore. Five inch groups at 100 yards is about all you will get from it with Black Hills or Hornady 250 grain ammo. I am going to be sending it back but I have been told Remington has stopped production of all .338 Lapua's and they do not know what they are going to do to correct the problems.
BTW, it does not have a stainless barrell nor is it a M40 action.

Kudu40 PS; the muzzle brake is very effective. I can shoot it all day comfortably.

Last edited:
Thanks for your honesty.
Point noted, I will get a Sendero 300 RUM or 7 RUM, I think.
I need a standard cheap rifle for my playing around in NY state.

Cheers,

Master Diver

With the cost of .338 Lapua ammo, I don't blame you. I have over $300.00 US dollars wasted through mine.
Good luck,

Kudu40

Hi the owner of the 338 Lapoua rem just picked it up yesterday he paid to much for it to start with it had a cracked extractor clost to 24" barrel the mags are only 3 shot and very short so they dont allow loading to a good OAL for long range shooting and the rifle would just not shoot at all.

So after his huge purchase price he had the following done by us.

26" fluted 10 twist Lawton Barrel
SSG Vaporisor Muzzle Break,
Lawton Pinned recoil Lug,
Action trued and lugs lapped,
Custom 20MOA tapered Base,
Defensive Edge Cheek Piece,
Seekins Detachable mag system with 2 5 shot mags,
Action Bedded correctly to stock,
Barreled action painted in Gun Kote
Stock painted in Stock Kote.

Unfortunately for the cost of the rifle he could have purchased a Lawton Action and a HS stock as well as a trigger making the built the same cost as having a custom action from the start.

Unfortunately these rifles are not worth the money i would buy a Sendaro and either shoot the barrel out the rechamber it to 338 Edge or just shoot he 300 Ultramag i wish they still made the Sendaro in 338 Untramag the barrels were great and you could just fir a Wyatts mag box and rechamber the barrel to 338 Edge squaring the action face and replacing the lug with a nice oversize one to get a great rifle.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.