Rem 597 22lr

TCampbell

Hey, Does anyone have any experience with one of these? My wife got me one for christmas a few years ago and it has always had a bad feeding problem. A couple of months after I got it I baught another mag for it and it still won't feed right. I know that Rem has changed the mag from the original version. How do I know which version I have? Both of the mags I have are pot-metal with plastic on the bottom. Thanks Tom

Sorry, forgot to mention I have tried several different brands of 22 ammo with no luck feeding properly thus far.

I too had purchased one about4 years ago, but I took it back because of the feeding problem, don't know if they changed the clip, but it seemed like it would work better if I didn't top the mag off.

The problem is with the magazines. Remington has had three versions of its magazine, and the so called third generation seems to have fixed the problems. For a detail description and pictures of the magazines, check out http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21]

Look under the stickies. This is a good site for lots of people tweaking 597's and common fixes.

I sent two of my second generation magazines back to Remington with a note saying that they won't feed if loaded with more than 8 rounds, and that "some one" at customer service suggested I send them in for evaluation. I got two new magazines back about 3 weeks later.

I didn't know they made three mags, I thought they only made one plastic one and one metal one. Thanks for the info and I guess I will try the newest version out and see what happens. Thanks Tom

The other common tweak is to make sure the guide rod bolts aren't too tight. Take the action out of the stock, and loosen the two bolts that hold the guide rails in place (on the back of the action, looking at it from behind). Then tighten them until they just seat, almost finger tight. Some 597's have had overly tight guide rods, and they will tend to bow a bit, which can effect feeding and cycling. I put just a touch of rem oil on the rods. Most don't respond well to excess oil.

I haven't had any problems with mine, apart from the first set of magazines. I have probably shot around 3000 rounds at this point, with no FTF or extraction issues. I like the feel of the 597 vs. other similar rifles for overall fit. Out of the box, it is fairly accurate (the consensus seems to be that it beats other rifles in the same price class and I would agree).

no slam but dont get a 10-22. I know of dozens of people that like them but I have had 4 and finally decided to give up. There accuracy and reliabillity leave everything to be desired. Get an cheapo bolt action clip fed marlin and you will be much happier than with the 10-22. Now own 2 and they are the ones that come into the field with me.

I've got one and after tossing the factory plastic mag it feeds fine.
It took a while to find ammo that it likes but, it'll shoot 1/2" groups at fifty yards all day long with Wolf Match Extra. Not bad for a cheap factory auto.

I've got one of the early versions. Besides the crappy magazine which only feeds reliably with 7 or less rounds, they're pretty good, especially for the price. Mine will shoot 1.25moa at 100yds with CCI standard velocity. Just sand down the stock to free float it.

i took the little piece on the trigger linkage (that the slide hits to break the linkage so it will shoot again) out and broke off the tab. it now slam fires thru the whole mag as long as it doesnt jam. where does a guy get a new piece for in the linkage?

i like the 597 after taking it all apart, cleaning it, floating the barrel, and oiling everything. it shoots cci stingers in about an inch at 100 yards.

it just sucks that we arent allowed to use semi-auto rifles for hunting in PA

I have a Ruger and Remmy, the Remmy is better

597halfatfifty.jpg

Rem597.jpg

It is more accurate than the Ruger. Fits an adult better too.

My 597 is bedded, floated, has an aftermarket hammer and extractor(Vq). With the 3rd generation magazines it runs flawlessly. Not bad for less than 150 bucks total in the rig. The Ruger cost more from the outset.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.