Reloading musings.

Case trimming is a necessity. Do I enjoy it.....NO. Spend fair amount of time at my reloading bench. Therapy for me to shrink the groups. Find the sweet spot load. Trimming....yup. A pain. MTG

I like reloading, it's relaxing, it gets me out of my wife's hair (she probably likes reloading too), it's rewarding to shoot a small group or take an animal with loads that I've worked up, it's a hobby that feeds another hobby, shooting/hunting. My loading is done in batches, usually 50 rounds in a batch and generally only load a couple times a year. Definitely not a high-volume shooter. The last couple days I've been working on batches for my 22-250 and 260.

Having said all that, I've come to the conclusion that I absolutely, positively hate trimming brass! Trimming is the most monotonous, boring, mind-numbing thing I've ever done! It makes going to the dentist feel like your first date with a girl you really liked.

On a bright note, last year I bought a Frankfort Arsenal hand priming tool that was on sale really cheap. I like it a lot, easy to set up and fast. 👍

BTW, I use a Forster hand trimmer.
I feel your pain we load very similar. I like to do batches of 50 as well, but I load a little more often than you and for several more calibers than you but it is relaxing except when trimming brass. I have not gotten an automated trimmer yet I still use a Wilson I am more into quality than quantity.

This can speed trimming and allow high precision. Is is a precision adjustable 3-way trimmer. That said, there is enough struggle PTO setup 3way multi caliber variable length trimming to cause some bad reviews.

That said, I still use the Wilson for anything I'm doing 300 or less at a setting.

I like reloading, it's relaxing, it gets me out of my wife's hair (she probably likes reloading too), it's rewarding to shoot a small group or take an animal with loads that I've worked up, it's a hobby that feeds another hobby, shooting/hunting. My loading is done in batches, usually 50 rounds in a batch and generally only load a couple times a year. Definitely not a high-volume shooter. The last couple days I've been working on batches for my 22-250 and 260.

Having said all that, I've come to the conclusion that I absolutely, positively hate trimming brass! Trimming is the most monotonous, boring, mind-numbing thing I've ever done! It makes going to the dentist feel like your first date with a girl you really liked.

On a bright note, last year I bought a Frankfort Arsenal hand priming tool that was on sale really cheap. I like it a lot, easy to set up and fast. 👍

I had the same issue. I hate trimming brass by hand. Here's what I went to that sort of speeds things up a lot.

The Little Crow WFT2 has caliber specific chambers you can change for $26 each
You can also replace the end mill it comes with. I think they sell a 4 flute carbide in addition to the 4 flute HSS their complete trimmers comes with, but I got a carbide 6 flute end mill from Grainger for bulk work and it cuts FAST. Works great for bulk trimming on re-formed cases, saved me a lot on buying a press-mounted Dillon.

I do hand loads for about 5 cartridges, and maybe load 300-400 per year. I used to measure every casing and trim those out of length, but now I just run every case through the trimmer, as it's likely 80%. I use the Lyman Ezee Trim and my cordless drill. Then I just chamfer the ID and the OD. Take maybe 10 minutes to trim 40-50 pieces. The tool comes with 5 popular cartridge pilots, and then I've bought additional pilots in 6.5 CM and .280 AI

I like reloading and Prepping cases. When possible we try making our own tools for reloading. This is a Henderson Trimmer with Foster 3 in 1 Trimmers we modified with a Variable Speed Power unit. It trims cases fast and accurate and does the chamfers inside and outside of the mouth all at the same time.
Also use a K&M Neck Turner we modified with a Power Driver to make turning the necks easier and faster. Most times you only need to Turn Necks once. I Turn the case necks when new and then again after the second firing to make sure they are the same thickness so when I size with a bushing I get the same neck tension.

First I start with cleaning several hundred (Wet Tumbling SS Pins). After Dried.
Then run 100 through the AMP.
Then Neck Turn 100. (if needed)
Next is run 100 through the Sizing Die
Then run 100 through the Henderson Trimmer.
May do this one night or over several nights.

Then Prime 100
Then load 100 with Powder
Then put the bullets in 100 for seating.
Again maybe several nights
THEN START ALL OVER AGAIN!

Once you get a rhythm going it is easy process and hard to stop. Many a time Jill comes into the reloading room and says 'Do You Know What Time it it"? I know that it is time to stop then.

henderson-trimmer-modified-jpg.298972

Last edited:
Reloading can be good for the soul! I have been in terrible pain for about 8 months. For most of this time I have been able to reload and shoot pain free.

My other choices of a activity always cause pain.

Joint replacement may be the cure, but reloading gets me through a lot!

Trimming is definitely not my favorite part of the brass prep. I use Wilson trimmers. They do a good job, but hand cranking is slow. I need to mount a drill to the trimmer head to speed up the process.
Amen to that. I also use a Wilson and trim in batches of 30-50 a day when I'm prepping a 1000 to reload. A drill might be nice. I usually wear a glove to avoid blister.

In the shooting season I load 30 to 100 rnds. or more per week for testing and competition, it gets demanding but what I do is a step-by-step process, an hour or so then get away from it until another day or later on. With the price and availability of components being what they are my shooting activity is somewhat reduced. I find reloading rewarding and confidence inspiring. If it doesn't go where I want it to, I know it isn't the ammo.