Reloading for the new .277 Fury from Sig

- Beat me to it. They often sell components of disassembled ammo. American Reloading is also where people have been getting the 113grain copper bullets used in the Reduced Range Training Ammunition (RRTA). Several guntubers have been testing this and implying that it is a combat round rather than being specifically designed to be easy on rifles and targets... and to have poor long range performance (it is designed to be used on practice ranges designed for the 7.62x51 and 5.56x45).

I'll also add I've bought hybrid cases from AR at least four different times, and there was significant variation among lots (weight, heat treat, velocity with same charges). So if you're diving in, buy all you think you'll want at once.

To add (again) to what Eric-F has written, be aware that there was often something wrong with the ammo what was disassembled. It is unlikely that the components are known to be dangerous, but they did not meet the Mil-Spec. That is why the ammo was taken apart instead of being used in the first place or destroyed. If you are lucky, it was the propellant or bullet and the case was fine. Add to this that 6.8x51 is likely still evolving as issues are encountered and you end up with the inconsistency that Eric-F has described.

Last edited:
Sig has the ammo for sale.

The 113gr copper I purchased is 270/277.
Please let us know if you get consistent results. I hope you got in-spec over-run ammo or components. At some point, this should become more common, but at this point, it is anyone's guess.
I suspect the mediocre accuracy seen by a couple of GunTubers to be a result of early lots of ammo that did not meet Mil-Spec velocity or accuracy requirements but was otherwise safe to use. SIG probably makes more money selling off-spec ammo for shooting rather than as components to places like American Reloader. We in the general public do not yet know what to expect from this cartridge and it is entirely possible that some of the RRTA is not the highest quality.

I just checked the SIG site. Of interest is a new "Hybrid Match" load with a 155-grain Sierra Matchking (0.549 G1 BC). My guess is that this bullet was designed specifically for the 277 Fury and its 0.81" head height, but it does not yet show up on Sierra's website. Hopefully, we will start seeing more data on this and the supposedly revised 150-grain Hybrid Fury Hunter load.
Curiously, the 113-grain is being sold as "6.8x51 Hybrid Ball", although with a listed mediocre G1 BC of 0.330, it is almost certainly the RRTA. The brass cased 135gr "ball" has a G1BC of 0.475 for comparison.

FWIW, when the request for proposal went out a while back for match ammo for the Army Marksmanship Unit, the specifications included the hybrid case, but only 58-59,000 psi at 70°F. The 135-grain SMK or 140-grain Berger Hunter Hybrid bullets were suggested. A limit of 150-grains for alternative bullets was specified. It will be interesting to see if the new 155-grain match load will change any minds.

Last edited:
Does anyone here use GRT for their load data? Where are you finding the cartridge database? Or, are you just creating your own? I tried creating one from scratch using the info off of the Chamber and Cartridge prints, but something is invalid and I can't figure it out. Admittedly, I am new to GTR.

Please let us know if you get consistent results. I hope you got in-spec over-run ammo or components. At some point, this should become more common, but at this point, it is anyone's guess.
I suspect the mediocre accuracy seen by a couple of GunTubers to be a result of early lots of ammo that did not meet Mil-Spec velocity or accuracy requirements but was otherwise safe to use. SIG probably makes more money selling off-spec ammo for shooting rather than as components to places like American Reloader. We in the general public do not yet know what to expect from this cartridge and it is entirely possible that some of the RRTA is not the highest quality.

I just checked the SIG site. Of interest is a new "Hybrid Match" load with a 155-grain Sierra Matchking (0.549 G1 BC). My guess is that this bullet was designed specifically for the 277 Fury and its 0.81" head height, but it does not yet show up on Sierra's website. Hopefully, we will start seeing more data on this and the supposedly revised 150-grain Hybrid Fury Hunter load.
Curiously, the 113-grain is being sold as "6.8x51 Hybrid Ball", although with a listed mediocre G1 BC of 0.330, it is almost certainly the RRTA. The brass cased 135gr "ball" has a G1BC of 0.475 for comparison.

FWIW, when the request for proposal went out a while back for match ammo for the Army Marksmanship Unit, the specifications included the hybrid case, but only 58-59,000 psi at 70°F. The 135-grain SMK or 140-grain Berger Hunter Hybrid bullets were suggested. A limit of 150-grains for alternative bullets was specified. It will be interesting to see if the new 155-grain match load will change any minds.
The 113gr. Solid copper I bought at
American reload, just the bullet.
And I have a 270/08 that I built.
I have not had a chance to try them yet.
Sig has both the Hybrid Fury ammo and they have what they are calling hunting
Soft point ammo for sale.
Hope this helps.

Does anyone here use GRT for their load data? Where are you finding the cartridge database? Or, are you just creating your own? I tried creating one from scratch using the info off of the Chamber and Cartridge prints, but something is invalid and I can't figure it out. Admittedly, I am new to GTR.
Ya. Shoot me a pm with your email and I can send you the 277 fury saami cartridge.

QuickLoads has 277Sig Fury.👍

I have the hitman industries 277 fury barrel that supposedly will handle 80,000 psi, a high-pressure bolt carrier group, SA adj gas block. I'm using the a Toolkraft BCG with reduced pin hole diameter size for the extra gas.

Can you tell me if that barrel has a Nitride treated bore? I believe that same barrel is also available here: