Reloading deck height

I am 5' 11", weigh around 180, I think that's correct (85kg). I am 50yrs old.
My bench is for sitting at while sizing and seating, I have 2 presses set up, a RockChucker Supreme and a RCBS Turret, but my scales, powder thrower and trimmer are all set up for standing. I use a computer desk chair.
I have issues with throw on a press.
I used to have an Ammomaster, the length of throw for me was just too darn long.
My Redding Big Boss II is also too long in throw, I rarely use it these days.
I have had shoulder issues for many years with torn rotator cuffs in both. I also have tumours all through my hands which are very painful. (There's a thread here all about it)
Feel free to ask further questions.

Cheers.
MagnumManiac, regarding shoulder issues working press, is there any way you might use a foot to run the press. Maybe an attachment to the OEM arm??? Might not get the "feel" available with hand/arm, but then we are very adaptable.

By the way, not trying to talk you into (or out of) any particular press but I will say that I don't think the Big Boss 2 has too long of a throw. When mounted at the proper height, it gives you a ton of leverage and is very comfortable in its range of motion. This is probably the press I spend the majority of my time behind. We'll see if that changes, but probably my current favorite single stage press.
It wasn't out of the running but would have seemed excessive when reloading smaller cartridges like .223. That said I love the T7 Turret.

OP I got around to measuring my bench.
1 - 6'
2 - Bench top 36"
3 - Redding T7

I sit on a stool most of the time while reloading but if I need a break my bench is high enough I can do case prep and trimming and priming while standing.

Backstory:

I am fortunate enough to have multiple reloading presses to feed the many guns that I and my family shoot. I have been reloading for around 25 years for pretty much anything that goes bang.

The specific presses that I own have all been purchased out of a particular personal need to correctly and appropriately load for the different firearms and accuracy vs. quantity issues presented by each type of shooting that I do. For this reason, I have progressive presses for handgun and what I would consider to be "general bulk" such as AR loads and 300 Blackout. I also have an ever-growing collection of single-stage presses for "precision" work, such as all of my distance rifles.

Years ago, I spent some time in my shop and created a "modular system" for my benchtop that allows me to pretty quickly swap out my presses to match the job at hand. I spent the time, effort, and money to go "all-in" on my own modular design - only to have wonderful companies such as Inline Fabrication come out with better designs and modularity shortly after I had completely modified my own bench. Never seems to fail that I seem to invest the time in filling a need on my own, only to have had a far superior bench had I known that Inline Fab would come on the market with their game changing products. - Such is life.

Anyway, on to the ponderance I have this morning.

With my multiple presses, I have found that I fatigue more when using some versus others. I am quite convinced that this has to do with my deck height and the subsequent travel of the press arms. While any of these presses is functional at my original chosen height, the difference in presses become obvious over lengthy reloading sessions.

So, I have a couple of questions for all of the reloaders out there. None of these are meant to be anything more than informational, so please don't think that I am asking for odd or personal information here. (I only added that, as I have seen questions like this taken out of context and people get weird in their responses)

#1 - Your physical height (mostly only important as it removes that variable from the rest of the info)
#2 - Your deck height (upper most surface of the bench, where your press actually sits during operation)
#3 - The press most operated at this height (brand and model would be helpful for comparison)
#4 - Do you vary the heights of different presses (if you use more than one), and do you use a modular system to do so
#5 - Do you stand or sit on a chair or stool while reloading

Feel free to answer any way that you would like. I wasn't trying to make this overly complicated or formal, just trying to get a feel if others are having a different experience than I am.

I also fully understand that I will likely get a "do what's comfortable for you" or "only you can decide what works for you" type of response. I get it. I am just trying to determine if the vast experience and resources on this forum have something to add that may dramatically change my regimen in a positive way.

Thanks in advance, and I genuinely appreciate any thoughts or comments on this.
Have you considered adjustable press heights? Do you move individual presses in and out of position for use, or are all presses permanently mounted to bench top at same height? Maybe find what height works for each press. Mount each press onto a plate/mini-table that can be mounted at optimum height off of the bench front or adjustable area cut into bench.......like adjustable shelves with adjustable front support leg or angled le back to bench front.

MagnumManiac, regarding shoulder issues working press, is there any way you might use a foot to run the press. Maybe an attachment to the OEM arm??? Might not get the "feel" available with hand/arm, but then we are very adaptable.
I am quite comfortable using both the Supreme and Turret presses I have now.
No matter what I do, my shoulder is sore, so are my hands, I just have to limit how much I do.
The biggest problem is the length of throw, not so much the leverage power, if that makes sense.
I want to sit at an RCBS REBEL just so I can see if it's easier to use or if the throw is too long or not.

Cheers.

I am quite comfortable using both the Supreme and Turret presses I have now.
No matter what I do, my shoulder is sore, so are my hands, I just have to limit how much I do.
The biggest problem is the length of throw, not so much the leverage power, if that makes sense.
I want to sit at an RCBS REBEL just so I can see if it's easier to use or if the throw is too long or not.

Cheers.
Length of throw as well as force requirement can be incorporated into an attachment design. We don't appreciate youth and good health until it wanes. Best wishes.

Thank you for this info.

Question for you, you mention that your existing bench has a height of 48". I love high bench-tops myself. I would guess that you built that at a custom height for reloading?

yep, looked around my garage, saw wood i had left over from previous projects and went to town. no plans to base it off of. just started measuring and cutting lol

i'll have to remeasure now i look back at the pictures, it's 36/38" tall. i just know i wanted a tall(er) table

here it is before the other presses

Attachments

• 50C3E925-D5EF-4BB5-9618-2915192EB0B5.jpeg
    50C3E925-D5EF-4BB5-9618-2915192EB0B5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 130
  • B1733365-3A12-4C3F-8763-00BDBDC119FF.jpeg
    B1733365-3A12-4C3F-8763-00BDBDC119FF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 119
  • FAC079EF-F2F4-4530-B2AD-78B178041A94.jpeg
    FAC079EF-F2F4-4530-B2AD-78B178041A94.jpeg
    943.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 64B9C928-CE94-4704-8EBF-1F73CFCDB1F3.jpeg
    64B9C928-CE94-4704-8EBF-1F73CFCDB1F3.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 116
  • 26EDDC9F-D3BF-4BBE-A8F0-FBE5C0B35E47.jpeg
    26EDDC9F-D3BF-4BBE-A8F0-FBE5C0B35E47.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 113
  • 471F97B2-DB15-4B4F-8D75-26FEAC57D89E.jpeg
    471F97B2-DB15-4B4F-8D75-26FEAC57D89E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
  • FEF1DCB1-D638-42F3-BA41-83F1F1EADDD9.jpeg
    FEF1DCB1-D638-42F3-BA41-83F1F1EADDD9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 140
The only thing I will contribute is the height of the scale. I measured the height of my eyes and made a shelf that height for the scale. A thin wire went down to the pan at elbow level. Very convenient.
Agreed! Years back I sought out a small metal bench/table/stand thing that gets my scale much higher off of the bench. Not quite eye-level, but much better than trying to read from the regular bench height.

So, just fishing for a bit of information here.

One of my main questions is what height are folks running their Forster Coax's at? Trying to figure out if this press is best mounted high, or at what many would consider a standard deck height.

I run my Dillon 550's at 38," my 650 at 39," and now running most single stages (predominantly a Redding Big Boss 2) at 46."
Glad you asked this because those inline mounts seem like they would put the coax too high to be comfortable to use.

I have my coax mounted to a 2x6 that I just secure to my butcher block bench with C clamps when I want to use it. 36" off the ground.
I sit on a adjustable stool on wheels.

I am 5 '9" and usually stand while I load.... These are my heights on my Rockchucker and Dillon 550...

Attachments

• 20210315_180332_001.jpg
    20210315_180332_001.jpg
    931.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 20210315_180345.jpg
    20210315_180345.jpg
    776.6 KB · Views: 74
If your setting to low get you a few books and raise your seat a bit at a time and work around the table if it is good then chop off the legs of the table that much.
So if I used a book that was 2 inches tall then I would take 2 inches of my table legs. That way after the book is gone and the legs are shorter then you will be set for you.
Just a cheap easy thought if it will work I your situation. Be careful with a book under your seat.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts