Reloading 110-grain TTSX FB 7mm rem mag?

It's easy to play "what if" with all the online ballistic calculators out there. I don't think youre going to find alot of a difference between any of the 110 and 120 class bullets. The 110s are going to come out a little flatter and faster but they'll also drop off faster down range. One thing about the TTSX bullets is that the ribs are not good for ballistic coefficient compared to bullets that dont have em.
FWIW the 120 nosler ballistic tip has a pretty good reputation for being tough there's a few stories of why. Apparently it was a favorite of pistol shooters at one time and they needed a tougher bullet for/ steel rams further down range. The story is Nosler responded by taking the jacket from the 140 bt and using the base as the higher percentage of the jacket on the 120. So the jacket up by the tip of the 120 is more like the mid section of the 140. Maybe it's all folklore but they do have a good following from people that like to shoot high velocity casings.
I would guess a 250 yards "0"would be a real good place to look with any of these bullets and then see what they do down range. Any of them are going to be plenty potent to smoke a whitetail at 500 if you've got the accuracy and the practice to do it.

Yah for sure Thats what ive been hearing and yah your right looking at everything after 250 yards best applies to these loads... Thinking also the 120's may be easier to get to group well in my gun plus my buddy already loads that load for his 7mag so i could easily start there.... hmmm

Kraky,

Steve Timm, who used to write for Varmint hunter posted about this on another forum a while back. Thanks Steve for your information:

"Nosler got complaints from the rifle silhouette shooters because the bullet was too frangible to consistently tip over the 500 meter ram. Because the rifle silhouette use was seemingly the only market for the 7-120, Nosler made the jacket considerably heavier than the original design.

This change was intended to satisfy the silhouette shooters complaints, but an inintended consequence was that they unwittingly made one heck of a big game bullet."

Later in the thread he says: Please bear in mind that the silhouette story above is purely legend, but if you will split a 7mm 120 gr nosler ballistic tip, you will find the jacket is waaaay heavy. Actually, it resembles the .338 BTs, which are heavy and are sure killers on larger critters.

-----------
For what it is worth I shot several coues wt with this bullet from my 7 rem mag at muzzle velocities of 3585 fps using RL-22. One memorable shot was at 725 yds. I used to use it because of the flat trajectory. With that long shot I knew it would exit and it did. I also knew it would drift quite a bit at that distance even that light late afternoon breeze. The deer was standing broadside eating barrel cactus fruit. I got the elevation correct using a stadia for hold over. I aimed at the hind quarter and the bullet hit the stretched out neck dead center.
--------
Steve Timm also talked about the performance of this bullet on game:

The first I heard of it was my friend at Nosler was shooting California wild boars through both shoulders (both gristle plates) with the 120 in a 7-08. Full penetration and very dead pigs!!!

He then mentions some of the animals he has taken with this bullet:

"I've killed a couple of 6X6 bull elk. Not big ones, but around 290 B&C and decent bodies for five year olds. One was shot from above, looking away at 375 yards, the bullet entered the spine behind the shoulder and was found under the hide of the chest. Expanded to .75" or so and the recovered bullet weighs about 100 grains (it's around here someplace and it's a big lead and copper ball.

Second bull was 400ish. Not to be fancy, I shot the bull through the center of the shoulder. The bullet broke both shouders and was recovered under the far hide. The bullet is identical to the first bull's bullet.

Both of these were killed with the 7-08 Ackley."

"Another Montana mulie was probably the largest-bodied mule I've ever shot in Montana. He was aged at 9 1/2 years in Great Falls game stop (by a PhD professor of big game). I knew the buck intimately and had not been able to kill him the three previous years. Saw him with a herd of does at over 400 yards in the dusk and made a running open field stalk ... closed to 205 yards and shot him a little too high behind the shoulder. Spined him, dead right there, bullet fully penetrated leaving a 2" exit."

"I've also used the 120 in the .280 Ackley @ 3,370 fps.

Shot a moose one morning with it. Range was 91 yards and the three year old dumbly stood in the middle of a farm two-track. I shot him under the chin, slightly to my right, trying to break the spine upon exit. One or both carotids were broken, C-2 vertabrae was totally missing and the bullet exited leaving a two-inch hole. For all I know, it may still be in low orbit of the earth.

Mickey Moose died right there."

"I've shot many antelope with the bullet in the .280 Ackley. Ranges from 100 to over 500 yards. Never missed a got with it and never shot twice. Total penetration from most any angle, except for one old and large buck that I shot fully in the chest and recovered the bullet (deadliest mushroom in the woods) right next to his bunghole. I guess you'd call it full-penetration of a goat, minus one-eighth inch.

Lots of mule deer and whitetails. Normally full penetration. Don't remember ever recovering a bullet from a deer. Exits usually one to two inches.

You ask about maximum recommended impact velocity on deer and elk. Heck I don't know, I just go out there and kill stuff.

I don't know that I'd recommend it on elk of moose. I have a habit of hunting deer with the tags for big critters also in my pocket. I carry 120s and sometimes magic happens. If I was purposely hunting elk or moose only, I'd probably up-bullet to a 139 Hornady Interlocked in both the 7SGLC and the .280 Ackley."

"Anyway, I've written way too much. Use it or don't, it's not a matter of honor or pride. I use the 120 and am not prejudiced and find it kills the schit out of stuff without ruining a lot of meat.

In truth, the 120 Ballistic is considerably "harder" and in my experience will out-penetrate the 140 Ballistic Tip."

-----------------
Once again thanks to Steve for sharing.

Here is a link showing sectioned 120 and 140 nosler ballistic tips
https://www.google.com/search?q=pic...=7A2gVpTDNIPajwOts7_oDg#imgrc=FIMFse3rcy-O9M:

Some good info there! was nice to get home from working nights and have something educational and interesting to read! This is the kinda stuff and info i was looking to get and hear. Thank you for sharing. my buddy already loads the 120 BT for his 7mag so may start there and also work up a load of my own to see what kinda results i can get.

If you and your buddy are not aware of noslers outlet store online its called" shooters Pro Shop".... you need to go there and do a little shopping. Every so often the 120 BT show up there and really good price. Another great bullet to give a try would be to 160 Accubond it's shot really great and many rifles for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.