Reloading 110-grain TTSX FB 7mm rem mag?

dodger

Hey everyone, I am looking to try shooting these Barnes 110-grain TTSX FB and working up a load for my 7mm rem mag. Wondering if anyone has had any luck... My 7mag has a 26" Barrel with a 1 in 9.5 twist. I feel this would be a real fun load for whitetails considering these bulllets perform on game better the faster there moving. Wondering your input. Please lmk if you have had success being fast yet accurate and what you recommend...

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I am looking to try shooting these Barnes 110-grain TTSX FB and working up a load for my 7mm rem mag. Wondering if anyone has had any luck... My 7mag has a 26" Barrel with a 1 in 9.5 twist. I feel this would be a real fun load for whitetails considering these bulllets perform on game better the faster there moving. Wondering your input. Please lmk if you have had success being fast yet accurate and what you recommend...

Just My opinion but The lighter bullets give up to many points for deer.

I briefly tried them for varmints and although they were flat shooting, they were very explosive
(To fast) the 1 in 9.5 twist is also tough on most bullets. they worked very well on the smaller
7 mms like the TCU but they were bad on barrels in the 7 Rem mag.

Sometimes you can exceed the design of bullets if you go to fast, and also the wind can be a problem at longer distances.

You can try them, but don't expect to much.

J E CUSTOM

It will be a laser beam to 400 yards. But you should also be prepared for a lot of bloodshot meat. At that speed the front of the bullets going to disintegrate and the onside hydrostatic shock is going to be immense.
Stay away from edible parts!

It will be a laser beam to 400 yards. But you should also be prepared for a lot of bloodshot meat. At that speed the front of the bullets going to disintegrate and the onside hydrostatic shock is going to be immense.

I shoot 120ttsx in a 7-08 at 3250 and they are the ticket !! I shot my WT buck this year at 80yrd and I've never seen a deer die so fast ever. Blew the heart up and never did find the bullet. The 110 at 3500 would be awesome on deer. I played with 120ttsx in a custom 7 rem at 3600 fps and they lay things on the ground real fast. Small bullets travelling really fast Inside 400-500 kill just as quick as heavy ones . Try them out and see how you like them. But in a 7 rm why not shoot 120ttsx?

I'm actually going to try 120ttsx in my 28 to see how fast I can push them. I think 3700-3800 might be possible. That is just just for curiosity sakes mind you , I don't own it to shoot 120s

i wanted to try them and see how they performed and how accurate i could get them. i figured they would damage a good amount of meat but so will any bullet out of a 7mag, thats the least of my concern. for you guys that have tried the 110's or the 120's in this bullet what were some loads you worked up? like what brand and kind of powder and how much. what were you guys achieving speed wise and accuracy at 100 and on?... please let me know, thank you!

Last edited:

yah thats what im going for to shoot lazer beams! lol i see your from medford, wi! do you know clyde or rat by chance?

Back when Barnes first opened I tried some 7mm 100 gr X bullets in my 284 Win. Got them to scream at just under 3600 fps. Killed several coues wt and javelina with that bullet. This was before rangefinders and the flat trajectory helped. Never had any issues with blowups. If kept out of the important meat it worked just fine. I remember one time a javelina was facing me from the mouth of a cave. The shot was 150 yd. The bullet entered the base of the neck and was found in the ham. IIRC it was the only time that bullet didn't exit.

I also used to shoot the 120 gr nosler ballistic tip at 3575 fps from my 7 RUM using RL-22. Again to flatten trajectory. I would think RL-23 or RL-17 would also work with that 110gr in your 7 Rem mag.

Be sure to report back on your results.

Back when Barnes first opened I tried some 7mm 100 gr X bullets in my 284 Win. Got them to scream at just under 3600 fps. Killed several coues wt and javelina with that bullet. This was before rangefinders and the flat trajectory helped. Never had any issues with blowups. If kept out of the important meat it worked just fine. I remember one time a javelina was facing me from the mouth of a cave. The shot was 150 yd. The bullet entered the base of the neck and was found in the ham. IIRC it was the only time that bullet didn't exit.

I also used to shoot the 120 gr nosler ballistic tip at 3575 fps from my 7 RUM using RL-22. Again to flatten trajectory. I would think RL-23 or RL-17 would also work with that 110gr in your 7 Rem mag.

Be sure to report back on your results.

yah was considering and thinking about going with RL-23 to start but RL-17 is a good option also. maybe do a few loads for both? in your experience would you reccomend one over the other with that load in the 7mag?

Can't help you with load data for either 17 or 23. I have used RL-17 in a few rounds and it yielded some very high velocities. It is considered by many to have the same burn rate as H4350, but it has a longer burning curve to get that extra velocity.

RL-23 was mentioned on alliant's site with a 130 so I figured it would be useful.

Re: Reloading 110-grain or 120 grain TTSX FB 7mm rem mag?

so i had some spare time and was doing a little extra research and have a few questions... With the same bullet with the Barnes TTSX but a 120 grainer instead of a 110 am i better off because of the bullet ballistic coefficient? I know my muzzle and up to a couple hundred yards or so velocity's will be a lil faster with the 110's but downrange the 120's seem to catch up and will perform better? What are your guys thoughts, or will the 110's still fly flatter out to 500 yards? Remember this load will mainly be for WI Whitetails and shots will be 50-300 yards and prlly never really go over 500. Thank you very much for your imput!... Btw waiting until its not -5 or so outside here to get out and do some shooting! lol Also now that im curious about really tuning in with the Best weight Ratio and the BC are Nosler 120 grain ballistic tips better cause they have a higher BC for the type of load im trying to work up?

It's easy to play "what if" with all the online ballistic calculators out there. I don't think youre going to find alot of a difference between any of the 110 and 120 class bullets. The 110s are going to come out a little flatter and faster but they'll also drop off faster down range. One thing about the TTSX bullets is that the ribs are not good for ballistic coefficient compared to bullets that dont have em.
FWIW the 120 nosler ballistic tip has a pretty good reputation for being tough there's a few stories of why. Apparently it was a favorite of pistol shooters at one time and they needed a tougher bullet for/ steel rams further down range. The story is Nosler responded by taking the jacket from the 140 bt and using the base as the higher percentage of the jacket on the 120. So the jacket up by the tip of the 120 is more like the mid section of the 140. Maybe it's all folklore but they do have a good following from people that like to shoot high velocity casings.
I would guess a 250 yards "0"would be a real good place to look with any of these bullets and then see what they do down range. Any of them are going to be plenty potent to smoke a whitetail at 500 if you've got the accuracy and the practice to do it.

Kraky,

Steve Timm, who used to write for Varmint hunter posted about this on another forum a while back. Thanks Steve for your information:

"Nosler got complaints from the rifle silhouette shooters because the bullet was too frangible to consistently tip over the 500 meter ram. Because the rifle silhouette use was seemingly the only market for the 7-120, Nosler made the jacket considerably heavier than the original design.

This change was intended to satisfy the silhouette shooters complaints, but an inintended consequence was that they unwittingly made one heck of a big game bullet."

Later in the thread he says: Please bear in mind that the silhouette story above is purely legend, but if you will split a 7mm 120 gr nosler ballistic tip, you will find the jacket is waaaay heavy. Actually, it resembles the .338 BTs, which are heavy and are sure killers on larger critters.

-----------
For what it is worth I shot several coues wt with this bullet from my 7 rem mag at muzzle velocities of 3585 fps using RL-22. One memorable shot was at 725 yds. I used to use it because of the flat trajectory. With that long shot I knew it would exit and it did. I also knew it would drift quite a bit at that distance even that light late afternoon breeze. The deer was standing broadside eating barrel cactus fruit. I got the elevation correct using a stadia for hold over. I aimed at the hind quarter and the bullet hit the stretched out neck dead center.
--------
Steve Timm also talked about the performance of this bullet on game:

The first I heard of it was my friend at Nosler was shooting California wild boars through both shoulders (both gristle plates) with the 120 in a 7-08. Full penetration and very dead pigs!!!

He then mentions some of the animals he has taken with this bullet:

"I've killed a couple of 6X6 bull elk. Not big ones, but around 290 B&C and decent bodies for five year olds. One was shot from above, looking away at 375 yards, the bullet entered the spine behind the shoulder and was found under the hide of the chest. Expanded to .75" or so and the recovered bullet weighs about 100 grains (it's around here someplace and it's a big lead and copper ball.

Second bull was 400ish. Not to be fancy, I shot the bull through the center of the shoulder. The bullet broke both shouders and was recovered under the far hide. The bullet is identical to the first bull's bullet.

Both of these were killed with the 7-08 Ackley."

"Another Montana mulie was probably the largest-bodied mule I've ever shot in Montana. He was aged at 9 1/2 years in Great Falls game stop (by a PhD professor of big game). I knew the buck intimately and had not been able to kill him the three previous years. Saw him with a herd of does at over 400 yards in the dusk and made a running open field stalk ... closed to 205 yards and shot him a little too high behind the shoulder. Spined him, dead right there, bullet fully penetrated leaving a 2" exit."

"I've also used the 120 in the .280 Ackley @ 3,370 fps.

Shot a moose one morning with it. Range was 91 yards and the three year old dumbly stood in the middle of a farm two-track. I shot him under the chin, slightly to my right, trying to break the spine upon exit. One or both carotids were broken, C-2 vertabrae was totally missing and the bullet exited leaving a two-inch hole. For all I know, it may still be in low orbit of the earth.

Mickey Moose died right there."

"I've shot many antelope with the bullet in the .280 Ackley. Ranges from 100 to over 500 yards. Never missed a got with it and never shot twice. Total penetration from most any angle, except for one old and large buck that I shot fully in the chest and recovered the bullet (deadliest mushroom in the woods) right next to his bunghole. I guess you'd call it full-penetration of a goat, minus one-eighth inch.

Lots of mule deer and whitetails. Normally full penetration. Don't remember ever recovering a bullet from a deer. Exits usually one to two inches.

You ask about maximum recommended impact velocity on deer and elk. Heck I don't know, I just go out there and kill stuff.

I don't know that I'd recommend it on elk of moose. I have a habit of hunting deer with the tags for big critters also in my pocket. I carry 120s and sometimes magic happens. If I was purposely hunting elk or moose only, I'd probably up-bullet to a 139 Hornady Interlocked in both the 7SGLC and the .280 Ackley."

"Anyway, I've written way too much. Use it or don't, it's not a matter of honor or pride. I use the 120 and am not prejudiced and find it kills the schit out of stuff without ruining a lot of meat.

In truth, the 120 Ballistic is considerably "harder" and in my experience will out-penetrate the 140 Ballistic Tip."

-----------------
Once again thanks to Steve for sharing.

Here is a link showing sectioned 120 and 140 nosler ballistic tips
https://www.google.com/search?q=pic...=7A2gVpTDNIPajwOts7_oDg#imgrc=FIMFse3rcy-O9M:

My hunting partner couldn't resist using the 110 grain Barns designed for the blackout in his 308. It is accurate enough for prairie dogs and does a great job of relocating parts but might be little much for something you want to eat?

This is not the exit (it was just a 30 cal hole) Its the entrance!

IMG_20140921_100007.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.