Records for insurance purposes

Varmint Hunter

Having a number of firearms requires some record keeping that will be needed if you ever make an insurance claim or file a loss report; ie: fire, theft, etc.

Not sure what others do but here is what I've done to help prove what I "had" before any loss.
(It would be great to have receipts for everything but over the years most have been misplaced.)

First I print out on a piece of paper the make, model and serial number of the firearm. Then I add info about add-ons like scope make & model, costly modifications and things like that. I use as large a font as possible.
Then I place the firearm on a plain background with the paper placed next to it. Photograph the two together and place in a digital file. Make a second set of files and store separately.

I think having a photo image of your valuables would go a long way in proving any losses/claims. It could also help establish the condition and value of your items.

I'd be interested in knowing what other members here do to document their firearms and related items.

Same for me. Excel spread sheet with info of all items in each firearm and purchase cost. Followed by pictures. All stored on a USB drive in two separate locations, neither at home.

I've got the Excel spreadsheet with notes about purchase price & date & anything extra or special with that particular gun. I hadn't thought about a picture though & that's a good suggestion as it shows the real item actually in your possession. Curious to hear what others do & from folks who have filed a claim with insurance; what did they ask for?

Unless you have a rider specifically for firearms you probably have very limited coverage for loss. The same with jewelry. A good safe could save you a ton of money by deterring 99% of theft attempts. A good safe is one of the "buy once-cry once" kind of purchases.

I opted for a high end Browning safe which is not only secure but rather attractive for a safe.

Video tape them and give a copy to family member and put a copy in the safe deposit box. Super easy and fast to do. Not only firearms but they will pay for every bar of soap if you have it on video. Most important you better verify your policy will cover the cost of the firearms......the major majority of household policies dont even come close to covering the need.

First, be very careful if a rider on your homeowners insurance. I have had this happened twice where the insurance carrier sent my policy including the rider that had full description of the firearms covered to my mortgage bank. Luckily this was hometown bank that called me to tell me they destroyed the rider. Very unpleasant phone call with insurance company. I removed the rider, demanded destruction of the information and picked up NRA firearm insurance I have thru Locton Ins in TX. They insure for a total and you maintain the inventory records.

Detailed Photographs from every angle including serial numbers, receipts scanned, copy in firearm safe, copied in back up fire safes. I include this in my annual photograph inventory of the house. I also include photograph inventory of reloading components. Based on todays prices, there is substantial value there. Heck, my cleaning bench with barrel vise, action wrenches, chamber gauges Dewey rods etc all add up. This is all part of my annual photograph inventory of the house, garage and polebarn. Takes maybe an hour or so to do but huge protection to your assets.

Great POST.
Most people don't think about a loss and having a backup until it is too late. Keeping records for your firearms is very good, but think about all your possessions in your home. Do you have this documented for you insurance in case of a fire, storm, flooding??? Great way to do it these times is with a narrated video and saving receipts. Extra hard drives for backup as well as an off site - "Cloud".
I personally am very concerned about putting anything out on the NET "Cloud" so I keep it on Hard drives.

I've been insuring my stuff for about 6 years now. It's a rider on my home owners but separate with $500 deductible. I've taken pictures made copy's on a usb card and gave it to my brother. It covers shipping lost or stolen for retail value. 4 long guns fully loaded, 3 sets of Swaro binos, and a Swaro spotting scope.
$300 a year. I'm most concerned when traveling or the place burns. I have sent some guns before, and it was cheaper to just insure them for the trip. Just make sure they are insured for retail value or you will probably be skunked.

I too became more concerned about this. I talked to home insurance company and that was a joke. I asked around and settled with a company that does firearm specific policy for gun and collections. I was able to get unbelievable coverage for gun and all gun attachment items and up to 5000 for ammo and reloading supplies. I set the value of items not the company. I don't have to provide any information on anything until I make a claim. It is better than any rider policy and better rates. Amazing coverage for the dollars. It even covers if I drop it, brake it or falls in the lake, not just fire or theft

Thanks

Buck

Care to share they company name?

Ask for Mrs Laura, she will take care of you
1637588819250.png