Recoil yes or no!!!

duckklr

In the recent article on what's wrong with hunting, many people write about rifle recoil. I think if you write one way or another regarding recoil you must state whether this is from a bench or while hunting in the field (offhand or off of sticks). I've really never heard from someone that they got hit hard by recoil when taking game, they more typically talk about the great shot they made and other details of the kill (yardage, windage, meat loss etc.). I'm not a tough young guy and I shoot big bores in Africa each year (and never from a truck) using a thoroughly worn/beat-up body. As I have noted before I never feel the recoil when taking game but a 30-06 and above from the bench with only a recoil pad definitely limits my shooting.
duckklr

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a

Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,

Totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy ****... What a Ride!!' "!

'Ole Red noticed a considerable difference in recoil by replacing butt pad with a "limbsaver recoil pad". I will concur with him that it made a noticeable difference. I wear hearing protection while hunting so brakes are great also and those who choose suppressors. Whatever you must do to keep shooting cartridges with more than enough energy to accomplish your goals. That's what I'm doing at 69. I enjoy feeling "some" recoil!

Each person's " recoil tolerance is different. I don't perceive recoil when hunting, but some rifles are simply nasty to shoot from a bench position. There are so many factors that go into it. I can usually mentally overcome the pain of a bruised shoulder for a few rounds on hard kicking rifles at the bench, but it certainly is a mental game and takes alot of focus.

That said, low recoiling rifles are best for new shooters until they develop good shooting skills and get a few animals under their belt so as to realize they don't notice the recoil. Otherwise they may develop a flinch or other bad habits that they may be able to do consistently at the range but not in the field which may lead to less than desired results. That's why we start our kids out with bb guns and not a 6lb unbraked 458 Lott. 😀

I used to love shootin' the big ole' warhorses and the bigger the better !! Nothing better than a lightweight 300wm, 12 ga mag, 338wm, 416rm, 8mm remag, 338 edge, loved them, then as the years piled on less and less and less, guess life's work, wear and tear on every joint, a few pounds added on, more time sitting than moving have changed everything...these days I'm good up to 7/08 or 30/06 with no little sand bag between me and the rifle..but I do miss those ole' girls, these days it's big only when hunting with little bench time..
IMG_2208.jpg

Last edited:
I find it interesting that recoil is such a big topic today. Like many here I never notice recoil in a hunting shot. There are a few instances where recoil and a poor shooting position have caused pain while hunting. However, this did not affect the initial shot. Duck hunting with very heavy loads and duck blind cross members directly behind my head and getting a scope eye from a bad position at severe downward angle come to mind. Muzzle blast from brakes affects me more than recoil when at the range. Recoil and muzzle blast often limit the number shots at the range on big boomers for me. I never think about it when hunting.

I find it interesting that recoil is such a big topic today. Like many here I never notice recoil in a hunting shot. There are a few instances where recoil and a poor shooting position have caused pain while hunting. However, this did not affect the initial shot. Duck hunting with very heavy loads and duck blind cross members directly behind my head and getting a scope eye from a bad position at severe downward angle come to mind. Muzzle blast from brakes affects me more than recoil when at the range. Recoil and muzzle blast often limit the number shots at the range on big boomers for me. I never think about it when hunting.
I wonder sometimes if it isn't a larger topic today as many of the newer shooters have better technology available to them with rifles designed for relatively low recoiling cartridges in rifles designed for the sport. Then they transition to a Magnum caliber to hunt with and it's not a pleasant experience, or takes better recoil management in a lightweight "mountain rifle". I was shooting an unbraked 7RM and 30-06 at 12. Just learned to deal with it at the bench and never bothered me when hunting for over 40 years. We didn't have the options we have today.so we knew nothing different. Got my first brake about 7 years ago.

I wonder sometimes if it isn't a larger topic today as many of the newer shooters have better technology available to them with rifles designed for relatively low recoiling cartridges in rifles designed for the sport. Then they transition to a Magnum caliber to hunt with and it's not a pleasant experience, or takes better recoil management in a lightweight "mountain rifle". I was shooting an unbraked 7RM and 30-06 at 12. Just learned to deal with it at the bench and never bothered me when hunting for over 40 years. We didn't have the options we have today.so we knew nothing different. Got my first brake about 7 years ago.
I got my first MB 21 years ago and never looked back. It was a Holland QD on my .300 WM and .338 WM. I am not recoil-sensitive, but I figured I'd try it. The felt recoil was similar to .243 and .308 respectively. Today, ~90% of my rifles sport a muzzle device.

An effective MB serves two purposes: reducing felt recoil and muzzle rise. Often, the latter is not realized. Being able to spot the target on impact is priceless. I understand it is not for everybody, but the introduction of muzzle devices is a game changer.

Last edited:
A muzzle brake is really a game changer when it comes to recoil.They tame even the hardest kickers and make them pleasant to shoot.Without putting a brake on a rifle,other things that can make a huge difference is the recoil pad and stock.I don't mind heavy recoil rifles,but I do not like it when the bruise my shoulder.Those solid hard rubber pads can be changed out with a good pad like a Limbsaver and the felt recoil will be much less and won't bruise you anymore.A change in stocks can also change the felt recoil.I guess really,if a rifle kicks you hard enough that you don't like to shoot it,do something about it.If a rifle hurts you,you can also develope bad shooting habits.Fix the problem.

Like I said before if your experiencing recoil hunting you missed the game you were shooting at!!
Same for target shooting. No way you can concentrate on both ends of the rifle and still hit something accurately.

Totally wrong! When I was about forty and using the 7-.300 Wea I used for ten years, I saw a deer watching me from about fifty yards. Since it was watching me I took time to sit down and take my time.

Not only did I notice the recoil, I noticed the blast just before the deer flipped over backwards. After that I became a major proponent of brakes and electric hunting muffs.