Recoil values of different stocks

J E Custom

A good friend sent me this video and though it was interesting and could be a good topic for discussion/debate.

I have always thought that the laminate stocks offered more dampening of harmonics but had never seen an actual recoil comparison to other type of stocks so this was interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZOZh8ebLAQ&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqpYTECGc2I

The second Video shows rigidity differences in stock materials.

I realize these Videos are from a wood stock manufacture but they appear to be well done and
shows what appears to be honest comparisons. and also needs discussion.

I would like any opinions, theories or observations from the membership.

Let'er rip.

J E CUSTOM

I think it might be better to compare all stock varieties:
Solid Wood
Laminated Wood
Laminated Synthetic Materials
Hollow Molded
Solid Molded
Molded plastic vs fiberglass or other composite
Movement between the barrel/action assembly and the stock may or may not be a factor of the stock material. How well the action is bedded, the bedding material, whether its pillar bedded, torque on the screws, etc. are all additional considerations over and above the material the stock is made of.

A good friend sent me this video and though it was interesting and could be a good topic for discussion/debate.

I have always thought that the laminate stocks offered more dampening of harmonics but had never seen an actual recoil comparison to other type of stocks so this was interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZOZh8ebLAQ&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqpYTECGc2I

The second Video shows rigidity differences in stock materials.

I realize these Videos are from a wood stock manufacture but they appear to be well done and
shows what appears to be honest comparisons. and also needs discussion.

I would like any opinions, theories or observations from the membership.

Let'er rip.

J E CUSTOM

He has very nice and informative videos out there. I like his set-up, esp. his use of force sensor gauge to measure recoil.

Looking forward for what transpires ...

I think it might be better to compare all stock varieties:
Solid Wood
Laminated Wood
Laminated Synthetic Materials
Hollow Molded
Solid Molded
Molded plastic vs fiberglass or other composite
Movement between the barrel/action assembly and the stock may or may not be a factor of the stock material. How well the action is bedded, the bedding material, whether its pillar bedded, torque on the screws, etc. are all additional considerations over and above the material the stock is made of.

+1

Like you, I would like to have seen all the different stock materials used for a good comparison.

I feel that the molded (Tupper ware) stocks are the worst and did some test of my own years ago
to see what they did when heat was applied to one side (Set in the sun to measure warping) and did not like what I saw, so I wont use them at all.

I would have liked to seen some of the high end composite stocks tested but I did like the use of the two piece stock for comparison because it eliminated the issues of bedding and fitment.

For comparisons, the load cell is a good instrument and is very consistent, but for shock/rapid measurements it is not very accurate unless it is very expensively made and given time to settle down.

The other issue I have is the quality of the laminate has to be determined. A quality laminate is not only very strong and ridged, it is for all practical purposes weather proof. like everything else, a poor laminate might test differently.

Just more comments to keep the post active.

J E CUSTOM

Very interesting that changing the stock material but not the weight of the stock can directly affect the amount of actual recoil. You hear about Newton's laws of physics "equal and opposite" reaction stuff and there is no discussion there of the material of which the objects are made. So it doesn't make sense to me that this is true but it is hard to argue with the test in the video so I suppose I gotta believe it.

I was encouraged to see that Mr. Boyd appears to be a pretty "with it" kind of guy since I have several of his hardwood stocks and it is true that they are machined to perfection (actions drop right in - no mods required).

J E Thank You.. I have been thinking about going back old school on my next rifle. You just made my decision very easy.
PS- Forgive me. I know you told me this a few years ago. Just too hard headed I guess.

J E Thank You.. I have been thinking about going back old school on my next rifle. You just made my decision very easy.
PS- Forgive me. I know you told me this a few years ago. Just too hard headed I guess.

You are welcome.

Before any such test were available, I made a conscious decision to replace all of my composite and molded stocks for many reasons, they were noisy going through the woods, they were also to light in the but stock making the rifle muzzle heavy(Poor balance) and it appeared that they were to springy.

I had long sense change all of my match rifles to the laminates and found them very consistent
accuracy wise and they dampened the harmonics very well.

I am sure that some of the new carbon fiber stocks are strong and ridged but I do not know about the recoil reduction of them, and I suspect the dampening is not there.

I am not pushing the laminates, I just prefer them over other stock materials (Even the solid exotic hardwoods) so it all boils down to what you like.

But if you can get one of the custom laminates like Joel Russo makes, you get the best of everything(Looks and quality)

J E CUSTOM

I would like to hear an explanation on why a stock that flexes has more recoil than one that doesn't.

I also don't understand the numbers stated in that first video. A Newton, unless it is a Fig Newton, is not something I am familiar with so I found an online converter. Those stated numbers convert to 426 and 592 pounds.

Edd

I'll take a shot at a possible explanation of how a stock that flexes could result in a higher peak recoil. Basically if it flexes it can store energy by bending and release the energy later by straightening resulting in a higher peak recoil reading. A ridged stock would not store energy.

Edd

I'll take a shot at a possible explanation of how a stock that flexes could result in a higher peak recoil. Basically if it flexes it can store energy by bending and release the energy later by straightening resulting in a higher peak recoil reading. A ridged stock would not store energy.

+1

A laminate also vectors recoil in many different directions because of the lay of the wood grain is
in many different directions (Much like a Muzzle brake does) reducing the In line recoil and absorbs some of the recoil.

Interesting.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the compliments guys... You would be surprised how affordable they are..
One thing to keep in mind is that not all laminated stocks are put together the same. I have seen a wide array of the wood, read Birch, that ranges from closed pored and hard, to open pored and punky..
The punky stuff seems to gum up when you hit it with the cutters. Finishing becomes problematic as well.
Nothing like a laminated blank made with select hardwood. lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.