Recoil lug too shallow.

GetReel

I bought a used stock that was bedded for a Defiance AnTi action and I'm dropping a Christensen barreled action into this stock. The recoil lug area is too shallow for the Christensen action and I need to get it deeper.
What's the best way to go about that? Dremel?

^^^
This.
Grind out all the bedding-including the receiver- enough to allow thickness for new bedding.
Bedding is receiver-specific.

I would attack this a little different assuming the bedding in it now is solid and well done. If so, I would grind out SOME of the bedding everywhere except at the action screws and just enough to rough it up and make clearance for a thin coat of new bedding, and make sure I have a lot of clearance on the recoil lug in all directions. I would leave the bedding at full height right around the action screws (assuming it doesn't have pillars, if it has pillars I would make sure the tops of them are clean) and use that area as pillars. I would skim coat all of the areas where the bedding was removed including a very thin film on the areas around the screws you didn't remove any bedding from and fill the recoil lug area enough to fully bed the lug. The action screw area will hold the action in place and the skim coat will fully bed YOUR action to that stock, when it cures it will be 99% or better perfect. IF the bedding in the stock now is not great then I would remove ALL of it and start from scratch, it's a lot more work but it is the only path to perfect if the bedding isn't great.

I would remove all of the bedding and rebed the whole thing. You are assuming that the receivers are EXACTLY the same. I have a couple of Remington 700's that would prove you wrong.

Recent Posts