Rechamber 7mm Rem Mag to STW

JakeWes

I have several new old stock 7mm rem mag take-off barrels. I have seen that many people back in the 90s would simply run an STW reamer in the chamber and call it a day. Is it just taking a 7mm STW finishing reamer and running it in the old chamber?

1-8 is tight unless shooting heavy bullets.
Lots of Remingtons have chambers that are quite off Center or canted, so if you have an option to bore scope a few 7mm barrels and pick a good one, that would be best.
It's a fine caliber.

What action are you planning to use? You are going to need to consider addition mag length. I was one of those guys in the 90s that rechambered from RM to STW. I had to have addition work done on my Vanguard action and stock to accomodate additional cartridge length. The smith that did the action work had to set back the barrel and rechambered. Turned out that the smith doing rechamber jobs for $50 was not actually a bargain.

What action are you planning to use? You are going to need to consider addition mag length. I was one of those guys in the 90s that rechambered from RM to STW. I had to have addition work done on my Vanguard action and stock to accomodate additional cartridge length. The smith that did the action work had to set back the barrel and rechambered. Turned out that the smith doing rechamber jobs for $50 was not actually a bargain.
I have built two STWs on 700 actions, this one is going to be from spare parts that I have around, and it will be a 700 also.

I say pick your best barrel and get after it 👍
I picked up a 24" factory 7STW take off barrel and I am really thinking about getting that one put on my other 7mag action

my only experience was rebarrelling a LH 300 weatherby accumark with 28" bartlien barrel, wasn't the most affordable route, but I wanted a long pole to shoot heavies with 1.85 twist and that's what I got. She shoot's 195 EOL Bergers lights out;

I've had two Remington 7mm Rem Mags rechambered to 7mm STW. One was a first generation Sendero stainless, the other is a 700 SPS stainless. Both are scary accurate. It's all about the competence of the person performing the work. The stock Remington twist has been perfect for my shooting; bullets up to 160 grains.