Recent 7mm PRC Build

AN6U5

Recently finished my first rifle build, which is intended as a light-weight, long-range hunting rifle for elk, black bear, mountain lion and possibly deer.
  • Defiance AnTi X action
  • MDT HNT26 chassis (folding/ARCA)
  • Proof CF 20" barrel
  • TiPro 4 muzzle brake
  • Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22x50 scope
  • ARC scope rings
  • Accu-Tac SR-5 G2: ARCA bipod
Weighs 6.2lbs un-scoped and without the bipod and ~10lbs with everything pictured.
IMG_2239.jpg
IMG_2237.jpg
IMG_2269.jpg

Factory ammo still at this point. I've only tried Hornady 7mm PRC 180 gr ELD Match and Hornady 7mm PRC 175 gr ELD-X® Precision Hunter. The former has worked well for me and the latter worked poorly. I am narrowing in on 100 rounds so will try Precision Hunter again. Long term plan to hand load, but may take some time to kit this out or purchase dies to use with friends' presses. I still have a lot to learn, here.

Factory ammo still at this point. I've only tried Hornady 7mm PRC 180 gr ELD Match and Hornady 7mm PRC 175 gr ELD-X® Precision Hunter. The former has worked well for me and the latter worked poorly. I am narrowing in on 100 rounds so will try Precision Hunter again. Long term plan to hand load, but may take some time to kit this out or purchase dies to use with friends' presses. I still have a lot to learn, here.
Did you get any velocity info yet?

Great build!
I'm curious about velocity as well. I also just built a 7 PRC with a 20" barrel from C6 and with factory Precision Hunter I was getting 2740. But I was able to get 175 Elite Hunters going 2900 with H1000 with no signs of pressure, which more then exceeded my expectations

Great build!
I'm curious about velocity as well. I also just built a 7 PRC with a 20" barrel from C6 and with factory Precision Hunter I was getting 2740. But I was able to get 175 Elite Hunters going 2900 with H1000 with no signs of pressure, which more then exceeded my expectations

What brass are you are you running. I have H-1000 in Peterson brass at 70gns and I am just at 2800 out of a new 22" Proof barrel. The factory 175 Precision Hunter ammo was at 2770.

ADG. I got up to 70.3gr and hit 2910 with slight ejector marks. I went back and loaded 5 more at 70.0gr and got an average of 2899, ES 18 and SD 7.
These were measured with a ProChrono though so take that as you will

Last edited:
What brass are you are you running. I have H-1000 in Peterson brass at 70gns and I am just at 2800 out of a new 22" Proof barrel. The factory 175 Precision Hunter ammo was at 2770.
That's what I'm going to try also but with a 168 vld. 22" barrel with a suppressor

Got a barreled action coming this week hopefully. Brass and bullets should be here Wednesday too. See any signs of pressure at 70 grains?

Primers look good, nothing seemed "off" but I don't run hot loads and typically will stop at the book max, so not much experience with what pressure looks like. Staball HD was at 2850 today, just off of book max, brass is full with not much extra capacity. 10.5 SD over a string of 5 so I might keep it there another 50 rounds and see what happens. Good luck!