Reboring to 338

nhenry

I've got a wild hair that needs plucked...

I want a milder 338; RCM, RPM, 338-06, etc. I don't really know why I do, I just do.

Right now my main hunting rifle is a 280 AI. I'm thinking of sending it in to JES Rebore to have it punched out to a 338-280 AI, or send it to get rebored and then have another smith (GA Precision in this case since they're in town) chase out the chamber with a 338 RPM reamer.

Is this stupid?

What could a guy reasonably expect from something like that? I'm thinking of using either the new 190 Hammer Hunter Tipped, or the 210gr HHT.

So, there may be other threads on this topic, but I find this interesting. What would be the disadvantage of reboring to a larger caliber if one wanted to do so? Would it essentially be a "new" barrel on the inside at that point, if not why? The one advantage that I can see is cost savings. Are there any other benefits?

I've got a wild hair that needs plucked...

I want a milder 338; RCM, RPM, 338-06, etc. I don't really know why I do, I just do.

Right now my main hunting rifle is a 280 AI. I'm thinking of sending it in to JES Rebore to have it punched out to a 338-280 AI, or send it to get rebored and then have another smith (GA Precision in this case since they're in town) chase out the chamber with a 338 RPM reamer.

Is this stupid?

What could a guy reasonably expect from something like that? I'm thinking of using either the new 190 Hammer Hunter Tipped, or the 210gr HHT.

My 22" 338 Sherman is a Savage prefit from Preferred Barrels. Took about four months I think.

190 HHT with 60gr of Varget =2953 FPS. You would probably be a little less with a straight 338-06.

Something to consider if you re-bore it (I know nothing of this) is the barrel contour. Mine is their No 2 I think, but it is pretty hefty. I wouldn't want to thin with a 338 anything, they seem to torque quite a bit.

$325 for a rebore or $400ish for a new quality blank, I can tell you where I'd spend my money every time. You can even get a custom blank from PVA at the contour you want for $330.

But the world is full of choices, you get to spend your money how you see fit.
400 dollars for a quality blank, plus the fee to get it chambered and threaded which is another 300+. Plus cerakote and fluting to match what I have. It's a no brainer if the reboring is accurate like what I've read.

My 22" 338 Sherman is a Savage prefit from Preferred Barrels. Took about four months I think.

190 HHT with 60gr of Varget =2953 FPS. You would probably be a little less with a straight 338-06.

Something to consider if you re-bore it (I know nothing of this) is the barrel contour. Mine is their No 2 I think, but it is pretty hefty. I wouldn't want to thin with a 338 anything, they seem to torque quite a bit.
What barrel length is your Sherman?

So, there may be other threads on this topic, but I find this interesting. What would be the disadvantage of reboring to a larger caliber if one wanted to do so? Would it essentially be a "new" barrel on the inside at that point, if not why? The one advantage that I can see is cost savings. Are there any other benefits?
From everything I've read on the topic, yes it would practically be a new barrel. Any fire cracking would be removed and you'd be left with fresh metal. The main advantage is cost savings, by a wide margin. The other advantage would be time savings.

I don't know that there's necessarily a downside to it aside from losing you current chambering. I have tons of 280 AI brass that would be easily converted to 338, though. I guess buying new bullets and powder would be a downside, but with all the money saved from having it rebored instead of a new blank you could get 8lb of varget and 200ct HHTs.

I have asked a few about setting barrels back and re-chambers. Most won't do it, so definitly get that lined up first if you do the re-bore. Most prefer to start witha blank slate.