rebarreling a mauser

jeffer

I've received an old mauser in 7 x 57 which is a good round but I'm covered in that area . I'm thinking about rebarrelling it to a 220 swift because I've always wanted one, is there any issues with this idea?
and if not what is a good recommendation for a barrel maker?

Attachments

• 20230803_222533.jpg
    20230803_222533.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 290
I forsee no issues with your desired conversion assuming you'll be using the original bottom metal, but cartridge feeding issues are common and may require a good GS to help you sort them out. McGowen can supply you with a pre-fit custom barrel or you can send them your rifle and they'll send you back a very nicely finished package. There are others that offer similar services and do very good work. I'm a do-it-yourselfer Mauser hobbyist, I use McGowen to spin a barrel to my spec and have not been disappointed yet - 4 project rifles with their barrels that shoot 1/2" groups with reloads. I appreciate their work and customer service. Hopefully the other Mauser loonies will find this thread and chime in.

I've received an old mauser in 7 x 57 which is a good round but I'm covered in that area . I'm thinking about rebarrelling it to a 220 swift because I've always wanted one, is there any issues with this idea?
and if not what is a good recommendation for a barrel maker?
Is it a small ring mauser? Is it a 98 large ring is it a commercial or military mauser? 220 Swift pressures top out at 62K PSI so well beyond what a small ring or military 98 mauser specs. I'd verify with a gunsmith. I'm not a gunsmith, but I play one on tv.

I agree with Akleyfan and xsn10s statements. PacNor here in Oregon has done a couple Mausers and a WW1 Steyr for me. Each time they did a metallurgy test to assure the relics were good to go. Accurate barrels, nice clean work. I had them Cerakote to help clean up the old finish.

You've got a large ring 98, I can't really make out the crest but some of the finest rifles ever made have been 98 mausers, including many rounds intended for the harvesting of the biggest game animals on the planet, the long range crowd shy's away from them, but for your plan it should be fine, you need to verify its origin as some manufacturers have questionable heat treat, 10 or 12 years ago I decided to quit spending money on every new latest and greatest thing to come along and just spend my time and money on hunting while I still have a few goid years left, if I were to start a new build to finish my hunting needs, I'd build whatever I choose on a mauser, likely a 2506 and a 338 win and maybe a 223 on a mini mauser,

Just took a look at the pic on my computer screen vs my tablet, you have a Brazilian made rifle, most likely a model 98/34, there are a couple of different variations but most of the the contracts were filled by DWM, FN, and CZ, all solid and reliable and some of the best manufacturers of M98 rifles, have fun with the build

If you want a scope, the receiver will need to be drilled and tapped. The bolt handle will most likely need to be bent or replaced to clear the scope. You may want to replace the stock with an aftermarket if it is still in the original stock. Don't forget a new trigger and safety. All added costs to keep in mind. Been there done that. For what you put in it, you could probably buy a new rifle in a Swift or a 22-250. Depends on what you want.

Last edited:
If you want a scope, the receiver will need to be drilled and tapped. The bolt handle will most likely need to be bent or replaced to clear the scope. You may want to replace the stock with an aftermarket if it is still in the original stock. All added costs to keep in mind. Been there done that. For what you put in it, you could probably buy a new rifle in a Swift or a 22-250. Depends on what you want.
Yes, those costs will start to add up and even more if you are paying others to do the work for you. You can buy pretty decent and accurate rifle these for similar or less money. Make your costs estimates estimates and choose which way you want to go.

I forsee no issues with your desired conversion assuming you'll be using the original bottom metal, but cartridge feeding issues are common and may require a good GS to help you sort them out. McGowen can supply you with a pre-fit custom barrel or you can send them your rifle and they'll send you back a very nicely finished package. There are others that offer similar services and do very good work. I'm a do-it-yourselfer Mauser hobbyist, I use McGowen to spin a barrel to my spec and have not been disappointed yet - 4 project rifles with their barrels that shoot 1/2" groups with reloads. I appreciate their work and customer service. Hopefully the other Mauser loonies will find this thread and chime in.
For those 4 barrels, did you upgrade to cut rifling or stayed with button? What chambers & twists? Many thanks!

I'm a bit of a Mauser nut. I can't remember how many I have rebuilt over the years and this makes me biased in their favour. Getting it checked out by a gunsmith is a must even if it's a model 98 because it could still be pre WW1. For what it's worth, most of the 7x57 military Mausers I have encountered were earlier models. If you want to turn your rifle into a classic there is no end to the amount of money you can spend. If you are looking for the ultimate in accuracy and function spend it on something newer, but if you are looking for something that feels like a hunting rifle in your hands the Mauser is as good as it gets.

All my Mausers became shooters but it took a while for some of them. My favourites were in the medium calibers, 338-06, 30-06 Ackley, 9.3x62, even 8mm Mauser and 8-06 Ackley which used original barrels. Shorter rounds sometimes had feeding problems and needed magazine blocks which were awkward to install if you wanted to keep the bottom metal. Magnums were the hardest to convert for feeding and extraction, even the standard length ones.

All my Mausers became shooters but it took a while for some of them. My favourites were in the medium calibers, 338-06, 30-06 Ackley, 9.3x62, even 8mm Mauser and 8-06 Ackley which used original barrels. Shorter rounds sometimes had feeding problems and needed magazine blocks which were awkward to install if you wanted to keep the bottom metal. Magnums were the hardest to convert for feeding and extraction, even the standard length ones.
I have them in 308 NM, 25/06, and 220 Swift. My boy's have them in 308 NM chambers too. killed my elk with those 308NM.