Really confused

wv270wsm

Ok so I got my first ar 10 in 308 . So here's where I got confused went to cabelas to look around and possibly buy ammo . They had quite a selection for 308 win, a little pricey but I'd say this is where the price is gonna be for long term . But anyhow right next to the 308 ammo is 7.62x51 , and my buddy says just to get it . Which it was a good bit cheaper .
So my question is , is it safe to shoot this in a 308 chamber ??? From what I read I believe it would be , but I trust y'all on here more than I do a lot of crap I can google search and read

Yes I have shot military surplus 06 223 308 since the 70's when you could get "real surplus" ammo.
I have shot either head stamp in either chamber never had one issue. If you do I believe you will never have a problem either. I don't listen to the continual diatribe of what you can't do on this topic.

Ok so I got my first ar 10 in 308 . So here's where I got confused went to cabelas to look around and possibly buy ammo . They had quite a selection for 308 win, a little pricey but I'd say this is where the price is gonna be for long term . But anyhow right next to the 308 ammo is 7.62x51 , and my buddy says just to get it . Which it was a good bit cheaper .
So my question is , is it safe to shoot this in a 308 chamber ??? From what I read I believe it would be , but I trust y'all on here more than I do a lot of crap I can google search and read
It all depends on what you want to do with any particular ammo. If you have a 308 Win chamber you can shoot either 308 Win or 7.62x51. Surplus ammo varies in quality, but for a plinking ammo it's fine for closer work. And it you plink out in the desert I'd not shoot steel jacketed ammo. Many ranges won't let you shoot it either.

Steel Core type ammo: https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fed...49-grain-full-metal-jacket-xm80cl-p-2900.aspx

Yes. Just don't shoot a .308 in a 7.62x51 barrel. Pressure difference is about 12K difference.
This really isn't a true statement. It's not the barrel per say, it's referred to as a Service rifle where the whole ejection system was made for lower pressure NATO rounds. Hodgdon reloading manual has 308 and Service rifle reloading tables.

Service rifles include M-14 and the EU NATO type rifles. I have modern AR10's which work just fine with full pressure 308 rounds. So to answer the poster the cheaper 7.62 ammo is kinda like shooting 38 specials in a 357 mag pistol

7.62 x51 mil spec brass is thicker and hence less case volume. So reloading mil spec brass can be problematic when you use 308 reloading tables. I bought a 1000 Lake city and they hold @ 4 grains of water less than Rem commercial brass. So I generally use @3 less the powder in mil spec brass to get the same pressure.

It's like the opposite of 5.56 vs 223 specs

Last edited:
IF, you go by QL? 7.62x51NATO @ 60,191psi and 308win @ 62,000psi? Other places state 4 to 6k pressure less with NATO specs. Very true on the opposite about 5.56NATO vs 223rem! NATO being higher which is the opposite of the 7.62 version. What's the difference or makes the difference? Throat?

IF, you go by QL? 7.62x51NATO @ 60,191psi and 308win @ 62,000psi? Other places state 4 to 6k pressure less with NATO specs. Very true on the opposite about 5.56NATO vs 223rem! NATO being higher which is the opposite of the 7.62 version. What's the difference or makes the difference? Throat?
Just what they are loaded to. Don't sweat it just shoot it.

About the only times you can get yourself in trouble is when you would be using the wrong ammo in a rifle with an operating rod. Over powered commercial ammo in an M1 or a M1A can do physical damage , and parts aren't cheap like they used to be. But the question was about the AR10. I'd suspect it'll handle either one, .308 or 7.62 x 51. If I had doubts, I'd quiz the maker of the rifle. Did Ya' buy the rifle new and get an owners manual with it?

About the only times you can get yourself in trouble is when you would be using the wrong ammo in a rifle with an operating rod. Over powered commercial ammo in an M1 or a M1A can do physical damage , and parts aren't cheap like they used to be. But the question was about the AR10. I'd suspect it'll handle either one, .308 or 7.62 x 51. If I had doubts, I'd quiz the maker of the rifle. Did Ya' buy the rifle new and get an owners manual with it?
M1A are pita on ammo!

Recent Posts