RCBS Chargemaster 1500 Review By Jim Brown

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this. I have been using my Chargemaster for about 5 years. I have used many of the tricks and tips mentioned and like the product. From the beginning, whether I calibrate or not, I experience a decreasing tare weight of the pan over time usually about an hour or more. When the pan is removed the scale reading is 157.9. After about an hour it has gradually declined to 157.3. It is pretty consistent and the unit still functions, returning to zero before it dispenses. I always use it in auto, but it happens with manual as well. The unit still returned to zero prior to automatically dropping the next charge. I have checked the actual weights with an accurate triple beam and my actual weights are right on throughout the decline. I has therefore ignored this idiocyncrisy.
Anyone seen this?

I have just bought my ChargeMaster 1500 and dispenser and thrown about 200 loads. I have also noticed a few times where if I left charge sitting for 15-30 minutes and come back, the thrown weight was about .4 - .5 grns overweight. I check to make sure it is not some powder kernals falling in after the throw is complete and this is not happening. If I lifted the pan, the pan weight was now registering 158.X instead of the original 159.2. I never checked yet to see if after dispensing another charge or two if the pan weight goes back to the correct 159.2. What I have done in the past is turn off the scale and start all over with the calibration and move on. I have also used my RCBS 5-0-5 to verify the weight and the charge appeared very accurate so it has me a little bewildered as well.

Now that I see someone else has experienced this, I will do some additional testing today or tomorrow to see if this is really affecting anything. If so, I will call RCBS.

P.S. I have not in the past waited long before start using the scale. (Maybe 5-10 minutes. Not sure if that is affecting the issue. Otherwise I love this product so far.

338winmag

I'm not quite following you 338! From what you typed, if the original weight was 159.*** and the weight is 158.*** after a length of time, then it would be underregistering, rather then overregistering, the original weight.

My reloading room is a very clean, quiet, no moving air walk in closet with temperature same as room temperature of around 68 degrees. Light bulbs are correct non affeting light bulbs.

1. Calibrated scales
2. Weighed the pan which was 59.2, cleared the scales
3. Waited 7 minutes or so and started dispensing

4. After 5-6 dispensed throws, I dispensed a 7th throw. Looked at grains at the end of the tube and made note how they looked just in case a few fell after I walked away. Weight was at 55.0 grains exactly. Walked away for 15+ minutes.

5. Came back and weight was at 55.4.
6. I lifted pan and noticed uncleared weight was now at 58.X
7. Took RCBS 5-0-5 scales out and measured powder and found it to be as exact to 55 grains as possible.

This is what is confusing. If my powder throw is still exact, how can pan weight change in midstream?

The post above me mentioned that he noticed his uncleared weight had changed from what it originally scaled at in the beginning. I was pointing out that I have noticed that once or twice now. WhenI see this, I immediately turn power off and start fresh with a new calibration.

I am working on some loads this afternoon and will see if this happens again.

Thanks for the reply

HI jim just read your rcbs powder loader scale , i am just starting out as i just bought the rcbs rock crusher deluxe reloader kit. what book do you think i should have or books, i want to reload a 7 mm rem mag with 160 bullet. so far i have always used winchester bullets from stores. as i also have that powder scale in mine nice to hear that is works fine, what tips could you give me thanks Eldin.

I have been thinking of getting one and this is all great information. My question is , does room conditions such as air currents, people walking , vibrations or anything else have an effect on it. Someone told me that their's (not RCBS) reguired a pretty sterile enviroment to operate consistently.

I have been thinking of getting one and this is all great information. My question is , does room conditions such as air currents, people walking , vibrations or anything else have an effect on it. Someone told me that their's (not RCBS) reguired a pretty sterile enviroment to operate consistently.

I wouldn't say sterile but you do want to be free of air currents directly on the unit and a vibration free bench.

i recently had a large 338 rifle built by a well known pa gunsmith.
i questioned him about the chargemaster on his loading bench.
there were several other scales and dispensers also. his opinion is that he dosent trust them with large charges of coarse powder like h50bmg.
he has found them to be off by several grains when checked on another scale.

i also had a long conversation with a tech at sinclairs. his recommendation was the 1500. he then went on to say warm up time is crucial.
several hours at least before using. also no moving air or flouresant lighting.
he then said he personaly checks about every 10th load on a balance scale.
that was enough to convince me to stick with my old redding balance scale
and conventional powder measure.

I have just purchased a chargemaster 1500 and seem to be having issues with it. After calibrating it I will check the weight using the 50 gm check weight after zeroing the pan and will check it again at some point whilst reloading. I can get a variation of anything between 49.99 grams to 50.02 grams, which probably amounts to .4 grains. Went to a buggies last night and checked against his RCBS 750 scale. Initially they were both identical and then sure enough after half an hour my 1500 started getting higher readings although it was consistent.

Do I take this thing back because I DO need my loads to be within one tenth of a grain.

Thanking you in advance

Dom

As a retired W&M Investigator with over 30 years with the State of Michigan, I would advise you to deep six it and get another one if it isn't staying within +/- 0.1 grain. I still take my time and use a 505 Ohaus beam scale to weigh each load, rather than digitals, because there is a lot less that can go wrong.

Last edited:
Thanks Top gun me thinks you have the right idea. I have a 5-0-5 but getting a bit old thats why I got this one.

I have always felt that reloading is a time to relax and that's why I stick with my beam scale and take my time doing each load. One will last forever with an occasional good cleaning of the knives (V section pivots if you will) and making sure to lift the weights and ease them into their slots and not raking them across the beam. When not in use the beam should be locked in place and if that isn't built into the system all you need to do is run the large weight out on the beam to hold it down. That way the beam isn't constantly moving due to air movement and wearing itself out, which eventually can wear the knife edges and that makes the scale lose accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.