Rangefinder Field Test: Swarovski 8x30 Laser Guide Vs. Leica CRF 1600 Rangemaster

Re: Rangefinder Field Test: Swarovski 8x30 Laser Guide Vs. Leica CRF 1600 Rangemaste

The thing that I have an issue with the Swarovski is that I'm aiming at targets that are ~2000 yards away, and the reticle clearly is NOT close any of the nearer targets. However, it still nails things that are ~450 yards away... refusing the nail the ~1800+ target I'm trying to get. (Which is a LARGE what church steeple.)

Can anyone speak to that aspect of the unit. Seriously, it's NICE and works, but that was a little annoying.

That was my biggest complaint about the Swaro, the large beam divergence and it causing problems ranging what you wanted it to. Next the huge reticle that was hard to see..

This is why I like the Leica in this price range unit. Get a good Leica, rest it on your sand bag and you will be happy until you use a PLRF10.

Jeff

Re: Rangefinder Field Test: Swarovski 8x30 Laser Guide Vs. Leica CRF 1600 Rangemaste

t3, i would advise you to go do some actual field testing and see what is "spot on" at different distances. Write it down and then play with the rf at home to see what lines up with field data best.

"proof is in the pudding" and it builds confidence.

Jeff

====================

semi - final update:
second usage, took it to our local airport with a google map print out with about 8 or 10 known distances marked and shot the ones i could see from parking spot to see if this puppy was lying!

google earth.(yds.big fat dot)..............leica crf 1600 (yds)

444 aircraft tail...................................................445

502 bldg............................................................504

619 bldg............................................................622

1092 bldg........................................................1088

1204 bldg........................................................1207

1210 bldg........................................................1212

1539 bldg........................................................1522

2573 church and steeple at bad angle................ - 0 -

could not see any bldgs. At 1600, 1700, 1800 etc to shoot, just the church at a bad angle!

i am sure mine is right – on and dadgumitttttt i ain't got any excuses now!!!:rolleyes:

the final update will be a crying towel or here he is!!!!!
film @ eleven....lol

Jeff,
Did that a few days after I got the unit. I'm good to go.....and think I will 'NOT go into the other features' functions till after NOV in CO 2011. So nothing can go wrong, go wrong, go wrong! I may never go to the angle thing since I only hunt rest days where I can see 800yds.

Thanks to all of you that helped with input......I got to my decision quickly and did not waste alot of DoeRayMe! {:>)

GOOD LUCK.
film @ eleven....lol

anybody know how the bushnell fusion 1600 binos stack up against the leica or Swarovski?

anybody know how the bushnell fusion 1600 binos stack up against the leica or Swarovski?

I would suspect that they preform much better than either of the monoculars, and possibly as well as the binoculars of Leica or Swarovski.

HOWEVER, while the Fusion binocular should crush the monocular versions of the Lieca or Swarovski for ranging, the glass is horrible compared to them.

Only the Bushnell Elite 1600 ARC Monocular has reasonably decent glass, and performs well.

Of course, what annoys the living hell out of me is that the Monocular version is made in China and the Binoculars are made in JAPAN. I would have expected the glass to be the other way around.

At any rate, the Bushnell 1600 FUSION binocs are known to range well over 2000 yards without issue. Biggest consideration is that they are heavy and the glass has a significant bluish tint to it.

I am a bit surprised at this. Have you compared all three? Do you think the bushnell fusion has a more powerful laser? I am just wondering why it would perform so much better....

I am a bit surprised at this. Have you compared all three? Do you think the bushnell fusion has a more powerful laser? I am just wondering ...

Same here. First I've heard any rumors of this low of a cost unit ranging out to 2000 yds - no problems.

I am a bit surprised at this. Have you compared all three? Do you think the bushnell fusion has a more powerful laser? I am just wondering why it would perform so much better....

I've read several reviews where the FUSION is getting out to 2000+ yards. 2200 in some cases...

Snipers Hides, general searches, etc.

The 1600 Elite ARC Mono I have is making it to about 1800 yards. It does seem to have issues with significant heat mirage (at extreme distange) or highly bright surfaces (near where you are firing from affecting extreme distance reads).

I have ALL of the units listed in the thread in my hands, but have not had the Fusions in the field. (The rest I have...) Though I have used them outside a Brass Pro store...

I'd say that for the money, they're a good deal IF you can live with the glass and the weight.

I think the 1600 Elite ARC Mono is the best LRF for the buck at the moment.

If Leica gets their QC in check, that'll been a wonderful unit. (It's got great features.)

If Swarovski updates their unit to include the features of the Lieca and/or does something about ranging targets well outside of the reticle... then they'll rule again.

I'm primarily worried about targets at 1500 yards... so after the disappointment with the Swarovski unit, and QC issue with the Lieca unit... why not spend under $400.00 on the Bushnell and be way happy with the results? (I got a good deal, Amex points via Amazon...)

Bushnell uses a beam the size of a Mac truck to get results but you'll have to do some digging to find anyone who knows what beam deliverance is at Bushnell. I was pumped about the Fusion but decided to stick with my old Leica till I can get a significantly better unit.

Here's a recent review. Bushnell Fusion 1600 ARC RangeFinder Binoculars « Daily Bulletin

The great ranges reported on the Bushnell Fusion sound to good to true. I'll have to remain doubtful until some members on this forum, or others, put it through the paces similar to what I've done here with the Swaro and the Leica, and then report such favorable results.

So excuse me for the skepticism, but if Bushnell can reliably/repetitively do it with a binocular, then others should be able to also with a monocular. The other thing is I want a lightweight monocular for my rangefinder - personally. Not a larger, heavier and bulkier binocular. That has to do with my style of hunting - all back packing, carry on your back everything in, and then everything out. With the goal being some horn/antler, cape, and meat added into the mix on the trip back out. Bulk and weight are always at a premium on the hike back out.

Last edited:

I think they sound too good to be true as well. However I am very tempted to try them because I would love to not have to carry my rangefinder and a pair of binoculars. I would gladly do an extensive review of these if someone felt like donating a pair.....:D

Anyone have any experiance with the G7 BR2 yet? and how it compares to the Leica and Swarovski?

I think they sound too good to be true as well. However I am very tempted to try them because I would love to not have to carry my rangefinder and a pair of binoculars. I would gladly do an extensive review of these if someone felt like donating a pair.....:D

Here's my thought... I'll go pick a set up and try to hit this tower that is 2400 yards from the road near-by according to Google Earth.

Then I'll return them.

If they work, then it's a good deal, if they don't... then we can agree they're crap.

Sound good?

GB

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.