Random Though

GPR23

I had a random thought the other day while shooting. It seems more often then I like i get docked for big holes in coyote pelts. I have tried different bullets, calibers etc... Sometimes doesn't matter and its how you hit them and a big hole is made.

What if a guy used an FMJ, but from a high power gun? For example Hornady has 125gr .308" fmj's and out of a 30-06 they would be zinging pretty quick (guessing maybe 3800-4000fps?).

Will the fmj still just poke a hole in them? or will it hit hard enough to cause trauma and drop it, thus hopefully only leave a small entrance and exit hole? Anyone ever try this?

I use a 110 vmax in a 3000 win mag for the exact opposite reason.

It really blows them up.

A fmg or solid copper should cause less damage.

What caliber are you using now? I would guess a small caliber like a 204 with a vmax wouldn't pass through and ruin the other side. I have never shot a coyote so I am just guessing

Fmj's are funny and it really depends on the design intent...certain tips as sometimes used in Military ammunition will travel a fair way into a medium before beginning to tumble sometimes making 1 full turn before exiting base first..others will travel a short distance and begin to yaw and dependent on range/velocity and jacket material may break into multiple pieces that buzz saw against each other and the heaviest piece will usually exit..others may make two full rotations or more before exiting and if it is yawed when it exits..big hole doesn't begin to describe it. Then there is the always possible bone hits, where the bone fragments cause more damage than the bullet.

Using a frangible may be your best bet, though it may require some trials to find out how well or not it works..may mean closer shots where the bullet is traveling faster..and finding out at what ranges it starts to perform more like a conventional hunting bullet..small hole in large hole out

Try a lapua scenar. In my experience they pencil right through coyotes. Good luck finding them!

FMJ= run long way. I've not had a fur friendly round above 20 cal 100%. Shot alot of 222, 223 and swift. Dad runs a 22.250 and a 22br. When it works it works great. When it doesn't yikes. I used a 17 rem for a long time. Had issues with copper fouling for any volume shooting. I think I used a 25gn hp from sierria. It was fast and damm they died quick. When the price fell out and it was for control instead of fur I switched to 243. Tried 55grainers smoking but would tear a dog in half if hit wrong. Biggest issue with that is when a bobcat shows itself. Hopefully I can use the 12 ga. If not I try to head shoot from ear to ear not frontal. Good luck
I have not tried them yet I use my 22 but in Mass at night you are only allowed a rimfire. The 17hmr or 17wsm kills quicker than my 22lr with the 40grn viper truncated hp. I've witnessed the hmr and the wsm is faster by enough to increase the leathality quite a bit

Last edited:
17 seems to be the choice of most who are inclined to sell hides. I just use a .223 w/40gr vmax, but as you said its hit or miss (pun intended). If i remember correctly, something i read said the 17 Rem was good to 300yds or so on coyotes if you had a good wind. No first hand experience though.

I have shoot fmj before in small caliber results Varied Some go right on through but didn't kill quickly and had to track the yote and others if you hit bone it still made a big hole I have had best luck with a 17 of some sort also use a 204 with pretty good luck but still can make big holes to it's usually the closest shots that do damage just my experience others may have completely different thoughts good luck

17 seems to be the choice of most who are inclined to sell hides. I just use a .223 w/40gr vmax, but as you said its hit or miss (pun intended). If i remember correctly, something i read said the 17 Rem was good to 300yds or so on coyotes if you had a good wind. No first hand experience though.
If I hit them they died. I shot at more running than standing. The total lack of recoil allowed for very fast follow up shots with the correction needed. Your better served with other rounds beyond 150 or 200 for wind 204 ruger maybe. This is why I went to the 243 for control vs a speedy 22

Anyone have more than a few kills on coyotes with 22mag? Figure 100yds would be effective. 150??
I've shot around 150 with a 22lr and I've killed quite a few in that 100-125yd range with the cci mini mag and rem viper 40grn truncated hp. Your not shooting a 223 that's for sure. These shots are usually at coyotes on a bait or dead piles and I do my best to head shoot. If I must shoot for the lungs it must be broadside or 1/4 way. I will put the round right behind the leg by 1/2 and halfway up. They die but they can run 100yds or so. If your tracking skills are not good on bare ground makes it tough because you will get pin head sized blood drops

Learn to put up your coyotes and sew....A lot of Fur Buyers are pretty good at docking prices for any reason and in the end it helps their bottom line... Coyote are one of the harder animals to put up and maximize the prices you can get... A $35 dead coyote with carcass would be worth more then a $65 skinned and stretched and sewn to me...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts