Rage broadheads... i've always heard the horror stories!

Slick Tricks are awesome! Used the slick trick magnum to take my 5x5 bull this year. Double lunged him and he ran 30 yards and fell over. Opened him up and there was a LOT of damage done inside. I had no idea that a broadhead could do so much damage (first time bowhunting).

I took this doe Sunday night around 1630 at 50 yards with a RAGE broad head. She was slightly quartering away. Arrow entered right where I was holding, with a super loud CRUNCH. Punched through the ribs took out both lungs, impacted and punched through the off side shoulder. I lost my broad head as she was running, the threads pulled right out of the arrow. The doe went 30 yards, I'm shooting 75 Lbs and Victory arrows.

1352212015.jpg

I took this doe Sunday night around 1630 at 50 yards with a RAGE broad head. She was slightly quartering away. Arrow entered right where I was holding, with a super loud CRUNCH. Punched through the ribs took out both lungs, impacted and punched through the off side shoulder. I lost my broad head as she was running, the threads pulled right out of the arrow. The doe went 30 yards, I'm shooting 75 Lbs and Victory arrows.

1352212015.jpg
Good Shot! i will be going out tonight to see if i can get a good meat doe. The best part is, they come right into our backyard! :D

Do any of you Rage shooters ever get better penetration than half an arrow or so. It seems like every shot I watch with a Rage is lucky to get half an arrows worth of penetration.

Not trying to start an argument or ruffle any feathers it is just hard for me not to get complete pass throughs, even on elk, with the Slick Tricks. My bull this year took seven steps and piled up in a heap. Last years bull was a nice 7x7 and he went less than 20 yards. The arrow went clear through him but part of the arrow was still hanging out the off side. The three before that were complete pass throughs and 2 of those shots were over 45 yards.

For anyone wanting to try to find the best of both worlds, you really ought to look at the tricks. The 4 blade heads but a big whole with total cutting length very close to expandables but they do it in a package that penetrates as well as anything on the market. And they are field point accurate.

No, I am not a Slick Trick rep! :D Just really like their performance!

Scot E.

Mine always blow through so fast I wander if I hit the deer

I have only shot 3 deer with them 2 were pass threw. My brother has taken one deer and it was the same thing his did what mine did in the pic above. I tried the muzzys 100 and 125 they didn't fly for poop. I use the micro broad heads on my re-curve and had a pass threw with them *** well. I think it comes down to bone, ribs will punch threw but shoulders are thick.

I have shot 3 deer so far with Rage 2 blade 100 grain heads. First deer got 3/4 penetration after tagging a small branch that I didnt see looking threw the peep and concentrating on my aiming spot. She was quartering away and the arrow after being slightly deflected hit her in the right rear hip area and penetrated threw to the other side. she went 40 yards and piled up. That kill was all luck because she was gut shot but that big 2 inch cut severed the femoral artery. distance was about 28 yards. Second doe was at 32 yards slightly quartering to hit the onside shoulder blade and blew right threw for a complete pass threw. she ran in almost a complete circle piling up 10 further from where I shot her. Third deer was my first buck. A nice 8 pointer that I whacked at 16 yards from a blind. He went about 40 yards doubled lunged again complete pass threw. I shoot a Bowtech Guardian set at 70 pounds 28 inch CE pile driver arrows with the 100 grain Rage 2 blade. I am sacrificing arrow speed for momentum as my arrows weigh close to 500 grains. That is the thing I see wrong with the mechanical heads. Hunters are using to light a draw weight and light arrows or maxed draw wright and light arrows for speed. These combos dont aid the mechanical heads in performing correctly in my opinion. I would rather get hit with a ball peen hammer than a 20 sledge hammer. I dont look at speed and KE numbers I focus on the momentum numbers as that is what will help pull the arrow threw the deer. Now yes I would only use the rages on deer I would never use them even if legal to do so on anything larger than deer( elk, Moose) but I would still use the heaviest arrow possible to gain the momentum advantage. just my 2 cents worth.

Andrew

I have shot everything from the plains game in africa to elk,deer and buffalo in the us with either wasp jackhammer or rage 2 blade. I shot a rage 2 blade clear threw a buffalo. He ran about 50 yards and piled up. Had a elk turn his head at the last moment and shot him in the NOSE with a rage extreme. He bled a steady trail and died in 400 yards. I know,you dont believe it but it happened. Not a fan of 3 blade but 2 blade rages are awsome especially the extreme. The muzzy mx3 flys much better than standard broadheads but still not as good as a expandable. :)

Might want to take a look at Wac'em Tritons. They fly just like field points out to 100 yards for me. They have gone threw every elk and deer I have shot with them so far, and I have never had to track an animal further than 60 yards. They are also fairly inexpensive.

Mike

This has been an interesting thread.

This last fall I shot my first deer with a bow.

After practicing for over a year several times a week in the back yard, I knew I was good to go. Went back to the archery store, asked about broadheads, and not knowing any better listened to the guy tell me about Rage.

Wound up with the 100 grain 2-blade rage heads. Practiced with the target head and found it to be dead on where the practice tips hit.

Sitting on the ground in a home made short blind, drips and scent killer did the trick as a nice doe walked within 15 yards.

Perfect shot right behind shoulder as she quartered away to my right.

She ran a few seconds and I heard her pile up in the brush, it was about 30 yards away from where I shot her.

Blood trail was hard to spot the first few yards, and kept getting bigger and bigger.

Recovered the arrow the next day, complete pass through and completely covered in blood from tip to knock, thick thick blood, which after opening her up was from the vaporized heart. Both lungs too, holy smokes it was a mess. Didn't ruin any meat at least! Literally I scraped her heart out by hand like a big handful of bloody cookie dough!

I can honestly say that I was not sure how the head would perform. I knew if it didn't do it's job I would not use it again. So far the others on the shelf are safe for now.

The thing that makes me mad about the rage heads is the stupid rubber band. Several times just from bumping the tip on a twig or something I had to re close it and put the band back. Also the ones in the quiver would open up if you pushed them into the foam to much. So before I even drew for the shot I double checked it was good.

Sorry for the long post, my two cents, which are probably worth less than that.

By the way Martin Firecat 400, 70#, total arrow weight 387gr. No idea on speed, as I just bought a chrony four days ago.
This bow is also an accomplished giant tree rat slayer! :) Those g5 small game heads are awesome!

Dan

We can't hunt big game with mechanicals here in Oregon, but I do use Rage for turkeys. That said, I will not trust Muzzy anymore. I shot my buck this year with them (first bow kill ever actually). 23 yards, quartering away, I misjudged where his shoulder was. Tried to slide the arrow inside of the shoulder blade and instead center punched the back edge of his shoulder blade. He spasmed and fell over, back towards me, and I sent another through his backstrap and down through his lung.

I sat there and watched him bleed out, quit breathing, and gave him a few more minutes besides. Went up to him, flipped him over, and checked out my first arrow. I grabbed it, and the **** thing fell out of his body. It penetrated all of 2 inches, and just had enough energy transfer that it shocked his spine or something to make him fall. But there was no penetration into the shoulder bone, and the broadhead bent over sideways.

Not the best pic, but you can see what happened. I wasn't impressed.

Now, I will say that the second arrow did well, as I hit nothing but meat, and it got the job done. But I was expecting the "bone crushing trocar tip" to crush bone, not be crushed by it.

That said, I'm happy as hell with the deer :D

After cutting thousands of deer the broad head I found the most embedded in bone and healed over was the muzzy, you could not give me that broad head. I cut about a dozen deer this year that were eviscerated by the rage 2 blade and it was impressive the wound that it left! I personally shoot the Tekan and have had outstanding performance from them but for pure carnage the Rage seems to be king.

That is a nice looking buck congrats on a first bow kill to remember.

I have another rage update. Got a big coon on the garbage can the other night. First I hit him with two g5 small game heads. He freaked out and then slowly tried to crawl away. He was dead just didn't know it. He was next to a window in the garage otherwise I would have hit him with a rage first time.

Once he got where I could see him on the ground trying to crawl away I gave him a rage to the spine and he died in seconds. It went through the spine wiped out what was left of his important stuff and sunk into the dirt. The head deployed perfectly, was fine but bent where it screws in so I could not reuse it. In all the adrenaline he was on he managed to chew through two arrows,break them and pull them out and break the arrow that had the rage on it. Expensive coon :)

Should have just used a rage to begin with but didn't want to damage the window or siding.

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.