R700 M16 extractor added bolt won’t close

Mnovak73

Hello,
I sent a bolt to LRI to be fluted and they talked me into upgrading my extractor to an M16 style extractor. The bolt closes with no round in the chamber but will not close with a round in the chamber. I was assured no other machining would be required when I upgraded the extractor on my bolt but I'm starting to think that something needs to be modified. I'm no gunsmith so looking for help. I emailed LRI and have not heard back from them yet. I've tried to call LRI and had no success reaching a person. The caliber of the rifle is 6.5 PRC, Remington 700 action, proof barrel. Of course this is my go to deer rifle 🤦‍♂️

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

I'm guessing the Proof barrel might be the culprit. There is usually enough room for the extractor to "pop over" the case rim as the bolt cams shut. The Proof barrel might have a tighter dimension where the nose of the bolt sits inside it. Chad Dixon is always helpful and usually prompt to answer messages. Keep trying the phone. If not, he has a good presence on FB as Chad Dixon as well as a page for LRI. LRIs work is top notch.

Before I got home from work Kaleb from LRI called me. After I explained the work they had performed, and the issue I was having, he informed me they definitely should have told me that the barrel would need machined when I was having the work done previously.
He told me to send my barrel or barreled action in and they would put it at the top of the list to correct the issue. The barreled action will go out tomorrow, hopefully I have the issue resolved and the rifle back together before deer season.