Quick Load 3.6 W/ 3.8 Update

All

Thanks for the replies, most appreciated! I'll most likely update but the way they do it is ridiculous, should be able to update VIA the application. Sending out a disc is 20 year old tech, my current laptop doesn't even have a CD-ROM drive...

Do you guys realize that you can change the case dimensional data and create a file for any cartridge that you want?

1617122580552.png

All

Thanks for the replies, most appreciated! I'll most likely update but the way they do it is ridiculous, should be able to update VIA the application. Sending out a disc is 20 year old tech, my current laptop doesn't even have a CD-ROM drive...

My laptop doesn't have a CD drive either but I bought a portable drive online that connects to one of my USB ports, cost something like $15.

All

You'd think in todays world that would be the case. Look at the first one here

Hey all,

Pulled the trigger on QL 3.6 with the update (3.8) hoping to put together some lighter bullet loads for the 6.5 PRC as well as load data for the 6mm ARC for wolf hunting to no avail. There are NO listings for either caliber. Wondering if ANYONE has data for these two calibers, especially the 6.5 PRC with 90-120 grain pills? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...
Try Load data .com

The value added with updates is powder.
You don't need the cartridge, bullets, case length or COAL, as you can just pick any and set their numbers for what you're using.
Best to enter your seated bullet base/bearing rather than COAL. Enter starting pressure based on land relationship.

And don't blindly trust ANY of their barrels. Find one in cal that calibrates for a known load to result, and always use that one(for that cal).
Many of their loaded barrels have bogus bore numbers.

Let's say you use 6br cartridge in QL for your 6-06. It's easy, just adjust the H20 capacity, but don't forget weighting factor either. Way different.

Let's say you use 6br cartridge in QL for your 6-06. It's easy, just adjust the H20 capacity, but don't forget weighting factor either. Way different.
Been using QL for a few years now, but never realized you could do this. Thanks Mike

The reason I said entering case length and COAL is to determine seating depth which affects the loaded starting volume of the cartridge. Granted with some bullets, especially with irregular meplats like some hollow points, the seating depth and volume may vary. I actually use a comparator (set for the lands) for this but use the derived COAL for the data field in QL.
The case volume of the fired case shows the expanded volume of the case which helps determine the pressures generated. This will be determined by the weapon chamber because the case will expand to fill the chamber during firing then contract slightly after firing. This is unique to each weapon. The maximum pressure does not change with barrel length but the final muzzle velocity and the bullet dwell time is dependent on barrel length. Remember, this is an INTERNAL ballistics program.
The other thing that QL does not take into account is ambient temperature. Especially with older powders that are not as temperature stable, the burn rate coefficient can change with temperature., I have seen RL-17 change 5% with temperature variations from 35 degrees F to 75 degrees F in my 6.5 Creedmoor. I try to do load development with testing at ambient temperatures as close as possible to the temperature range I will be doing hunting or competition shooting.
Finally, the QL updates do cover many new powders, but also there are so many new bullets being developed that the updates are useful for this new data.

The reason I said entering case length and COAL is to determine seating depth which affects the loaded starting volume of the cartridge. Granted with some bullets, especially with irregular meplats like some hollow points, the seating depth and volume may vary. I actually use a comparator (set for the lands) for this but use the derived COAL for the data field in QL.
The case volume of the fired case shows the expanded volume of the case which helps determine the pressures generated. This will be determined by the weapon chamber because the case will expand to fill the chamber during firing then contract slightly after firing. This is unique to each weapon. The maximum pressure does not change with barrel length but the final muzzle velocity and the bullet dwell time is dependent on barrel length. Remember, this is an INTERNAL ballistics program.
The other thing that QL does not take into account is ambient temperature. Especially with older powders that are not as temperature stable, the burn rate coefficient can change with temperature., I have seen RL-17 change 5% with temperature variations from 35 degrees F to 75 degrees F in my 6.5 Creedmoor. I try to do load development with testing at ambient temperatures as close as possible to the temperature range I will be doing hunting or competition shooting.
Finally, the QL updates do cover many new powders, but also there are so many new bullets being developed that the updates are useful for this new data.

Quickload allows you to change the temperature.

1617215926572.png

Just bought a new copy of QL 3.9, it has the 6mm ARC. My old QL was too old to upgrade...