Question

BirdDog50

Question...reloading 300wm w/ 210 gr Berger Target w/ Nosler & Peterson brass w/ IMR 7828SSC..
Used 68.4gr powder which measured 2858 velocity. The book shows max load of 71.4gr with max velocity 2849...So Question is can I continue to increase powder load??
Based on existing results velocity with go higher...maybe around 3000.
I know off shelf ammo for 300wm can exceed 3100vel so why does reload book say max velocity is 2849...confused.

Thank you! I don't see any sign of pressure - everything operating smoothly.
Any recommendations on how much weight to add incrementally - go by 10th of a grain or half grain? Thought I might go to 69.0 grains.

Thank you! I appreciate you sharing your expertise...I'll follow it and run them up to 71.4gr and stop when I see pressure signs.

It's been my experience that reloading manuals aren't always representative of real world results. That's why it's smart to start low and work up. Also, Peterson brass tends to have less capacity than other brands so it will hit pressure sooner with less powder. I'd work up until you see signs of pressure and find your rifle and load combo's limit. Then back off 0.5-1.0gr and call that your "safe max" and look for loads under your max.

With a 210 at that velocity with 7828 your probably getting somewhat close to pressure, as I get up to what I think is going to be the top end I'll usually load in .2 increments rather then .5 just in case it gets jumpy at the very top when I'm finding max.

There isn't a commercial 300 wm load out there with a 210 that clocks 3100, that's 165 grain territory. If you were loading that weight bullet your reloads would get there too, your just pushing a lot more bullet.

Also make sure your not mixing your Nosler and Peterson brass, what's safe in one may not be safe in the other.

You are cheating yourself with the 210, the 215 hybrid will give better velocity due to its shorter bearing surface and it has a higher BC... win win. With H1000 start at 72.0 and go up in 0.5 increments. Most rifles will be near 3,000 fps
IMR 7828 is very close to H1000 but not as heat stable, it will spike around 95F

Last edited:
You are cheating yourself with the 210, the 215 hybrid will give better velocity due to its shorter bearing surface and it has a higher BC... win win.
Totally agree the 215 is a "better" bullet than the 210. However there is one tiny little problem…actually getting them. I haven't seen any for sale in quite a while, and the 210's are available right now.
Also, I would advise not to mix brass manufacturers together (if that's what you're doing). Pick one and go with it, if you have to change to the other manufacturer then start all over with powder charge and work up.

Question...reloading 300wm w/ 210 gr Berger Target w/ Nosler & Peterson brass w/ IMR 7828SSC..
Used 68.4gr powder which measured 2858 velocity. The book shows max load of 71.4gr with max velocity 2849...So Question is can I continue to increase powder load??
Based on existing results velocity with go higher...maybe around 3000.
I know off shelf ammo for 300wm can exceed 3100vel so why does reload book say max velocity is 2849...confused.
LAWYERS!

I originally was going to go with the 215's but haven't found any available, looked for over a 1yr. I wanted the target or hybrid for range shooting and the hunter for elk/antelope , etc.. have the 210 hunters as well...excellent point about the brass...wanted Peterson ( have some) but I could get more Nosler based on availability...also wanted H1000 ( have some) but could get 7828SSC in higher quantities....same issues everyone is experiencing 😭

Availability and cost along with good B.C. gave me good reason to go with the 208ELD-M. I have not had the chance to try them out yet but I've got reasonably high expectations of accuracy.